Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 mechanical vs fixed for turkey >

mechanical vs fixed for turkey

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mechanical vs fixed for turkey

Old 01-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mechanical vs fixed for turkey

I bought my 1st set of mechanical broadheads today, 100grn Hypershocks. I was happy with fixed blade for deer but have heard lots of storys about pass thrus on turkeys and the bird just runs away, never to be found.
Whats everyone think, will the two (much) bigger blades and opening action plant a bird better than a fast clean pass thru with a small fixed blade head?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:53 PM

Default RE: mechanical vs fixed for turkey

I would say that they would work fine. Do they get held closed by a rubber band? If so get a stiffer rubber band so that it takes more energy to get the blades to open. If you do this it will lessen the chance of a pass thru and it will hit the turkey hard. Good luck
Old 01-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Never shot a bird with the big expandables... but I think they'd be the ticket. Gives you a bigger margin for error and expends a lot of energy in the bird.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 PM

Yep. The biggest expandable you can find. Eats up the KE minimizing penetration anda turkey's vital area is dad burned small, so the big blades help. Now if you really want the ultimate.......Gobbler Guilotinne.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:37 PM

i shot a turkey a while back with a 3 blade fixed blade. the arrow blew through the bird with no problem and it ran about another 30 yards. Talking about the kill zone, i shot my bird full strut walking away. I flinched on release and the arrow entered just above the back leg. It looked like a complete gut shot, but i hit the heart. turkeys are really different. I saw in cabelas they have a spacer, or catch that will stop the head from penatrating to much, and acts as a second BH.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Now if you really want the ultimate.......Gobbler Guilotinne.

DITTO!!! Take the heads clean off. Much better chance of killing a bird with a 4" cutting diamater and a head shot.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:18 PM

Another thing you can do is back off on the bow weight. 50# is plenty for turkeys. And use a comparably lighter arrow. Lots of little tricks.