Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gearing up for 06? >

Gearing up for 06?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gearing up for 06?

Old 01-17-2006, 08:25 PM

Default RE: Gearing up for 06?

im gettin a Thermacell im tierd of them freakin skeeters, and im prolly going to get a scent blocker suit, but im sure like all of yall ill find something else i just gotta have
Old 01-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've already bought a scent lok facemask, a scope for my shotgun, and a Gorilla Expedition Magnum treestand. I found the Expedition on sale and I would of really like 2 of them, but I didnt want to drop all that money and not like something. Needless to say I got it yesterday in the mail and LOVED it. The net seat is very comfortable.

Once I start working a little more over the summer I'm going to go ahead and buy some climbing sticks, a few more lock ons, and a rangefinder.

I've also been looking into getting a deer decoy. I was just wondering what everyone here uses.I like the way the Carry-Lite Deer Decoy looksso far.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a Carry-Lite decoy this past fall; shot a doe which came in to it, and also pulled a nice little 2 1/2-year-old in that would have scored between 115-120. Later that evening, I had a monster that would easily have went over 160 come in to it, but I couldn't see my pins. [:@]

I'm looking forward to using it next year!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I bought a Carry-Lite decoy this past fall; shot a doe which came in to it, and also pulled a nice little 2 1/2-year-old in that would have scored between 115-120. Later that evening, I had a monster that would easily have went over 160 come in to it, but I couldn't see my pins. [:@]

I'm looking forward to using it next year!
Did you use it with the antlers or without? If both, which one worked better? If I end up getting one I will be new to it and need all the advice I could get.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had the antlers on, and one ear kind of pointed up and one ear back...

From everything I could read (Bill Winke did a great job writing a feature article on bowhunting with decoys in one of the big mags this past summer/fall), the best way to place your decoy is slightly quartering towards you, as bucks will circle around to get in front of the decoy. As they circle around, they'll offer you the shot you want. I placed my decoy out about 22 yards, and found that to be an ideal distance.

Ideally, you'd like to have the wind blowing from the decoy to your stand for obvious reasons as well, and it's best to use on a field edge where it's highly visible. For some reason, most experts agree that using one in thick cover spooks deer. I haven't done it yet, but a lot of people also recommend attaching some toilet paper or something of the sort to where the tail is to add some life-like motion.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks buckeye! I'll definitely keep an eye on it... And thanks for the post; that's exactly the kind of stuff that makes HNI invaluable -- no bashing, just straight-forward facts from one archer meant to help another archer.

I know Matt / Pa has used this particular rest for a while now with no problems; it's actually on his recommendation that I'm ordering one.
I have an APA Twister Safari SL on my Patriot and really like it. But I will definitely watch that pin. Have to say I am surprised that it would snap though.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a full set of snow camo at Basspro on Boxing day and will be buying a Summit Goliath for sure later this summer and hey who knows maybe a bowtech Tribute.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, Terry, I've got to ask: What's boxing day? Or am I being obtuse and just not getting it?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've also been looking into getting a deer decoy. I was just wondering what everyone here uses.I like the way the Carry-Lite Deer Decoy looksso far.
I have the carry-lite as well. I used it maybe 4 timesthis year but only saw does yearling bucks and a 115 class 2 1/2 year old. It was still pre-rut when I was using it. It got all of their attention and pulled all of them in (within 30 yards)except for a small 6 point who seemed intimidated.

My brother used my decoy and shot a nice 2 1/2 year old who postured all the way in. The buck walked in "sideways" stiff legged ears layed back with all his neck hair standing straight up. He shot the buck about 3 feet from the decoy. The pass through shot just missed the leg of my decoy too[8D]

Here is a pic of the a decoy setup I used.

I have an APA Twister Safari SL on my Patriot and really like it. But I will definitely watch that pin. Have to say I am surprised that it would snap though.
It didn't actually snap. It just fell, or flungout after the shot.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Typical Buck

For 06 I will be ordering my ASAT camo, getting a new choke tube for the turkey slayer. I would also like to invest in a pair of Lacrosse alpha burly 1000 grams of thinsulate. I am selling a brand new summit viper x-5 that i used once, I will be buying the summit broadhead to replace this. Buckeye I will also be putting up some ladder stands for the in the bedroom spaces in the woods. I too have thought about buying a decoy, but I am unsure if it would work?I will probably get some Scent-Lok underlayer- really believe in this stuff. I am going to upgrade the scope on my muzzelloader to either a nikon or a burris 3-9 -40.

Quick Reply: Gearing up for 06?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.