Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great Day!

Old 10-15-2002, 11:59 PM
AK

Default Great Day!

Monday was a great day for me. I did two hunts (before and after work) and managed to kill two deer with douglass fir arrows and a 65# osage selfbow I finished in July. I don't know if that piece of wood or the name "Autumn's Glory" carried mojo, but that bow sung for me twice in one day.

Shortly after sunup, three does tiptoed behind my stand on the edge of a cornfield. I slowly stood up and turned around to take a shot at them. Since I normally cant my bow a fair bit when shooting, the shot was awkward as I had to hold the bow vertically to keep the lower limb off the tree. When I released my arrow at the biggest doe, my lower limb still smacked the frame of my treestand. Fortunately it didn't throw my 8 yard shot off, as I watched the bright fletching pass through the deer's chest and imbed solidly in the earth. Half an hour later I found my pretty little doe, with a Cindy Crawford mole on her nose.

In the afternoon, I decided to hunt a drought stricken portion of a cornfield where I encountered two does on a prior hunt. As I prepared a spot to sit in the thigh- high cornstalks, my clamoring caught the attention of a barrel chested 8-point lurking inside a nearby woodlot. I caught sight of his anters coming over the rise just as I was about to begin my watch. Instantly, I threw myself to the ground, nocked an arrow, and fumbled frantically to find and don the camo headnet in my pocket. Once prepared, I knelt low to the ground and held my bow horizontally as to keep myself hidden in the stunted corn. The buck scanned the cornfield as he approached, apparently searching for what he thought was noisy deer. I held firm until he approached to 9 yards. My arrow struck forward of his shoulder and passed deep into his chest. He thundered past me in his escape to taller corn, spraying the rows with a heavy mist of every tracker's dream. Half an hour and an adrenaline rush later, I began a merry drag from the cornfield. It was a brief, but fantastic hunt!

Old 10-16-2002, 12:23 AM

Default RE: Great Day!

Have you pinched yourself? Nice pair!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates,Especially with a stick bow
Old 10-16-2002, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats great congrats and thanks for sharing...........
Old 10-16-2002, 05:04 AM

Congrats, sounds like a great dy afield.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:16 AM

That is a fantastic story and all with a stick bow. Excellent and congratulations.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Super Congratulations!!

Your story is a very hard act to follow. I could feel those latent instincts of our fore-fathers coming to the surface in your words. Way to go!!

Old 10-16-2002, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

You are a lucky man. Go to the store and buy a loto ticket now!Congrats what a great day you had.

Old 10-16-2002, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great story...and nice deer as well. I think that's awesome you don't shoot a modern bow. Congratulations.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

AK great story and a double Congrats!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: Great Day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.