Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical Broadheads >

Mechanical Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical Broadheads

Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mechanical Broadheads

i haven't had time in the last 4 to 5 years to bowhunt. however, this upcoming year i plan to give'r hell. since i have been outta the loop for awhile, i have a question. what is everyone's opinion on mechanical broadheads (like puckets blood trailers...the expanding on impact ones)? i don't see where they would hold together too well if they hit bone but i like the concept of not having to re-sight in with traditional broadheads.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanical Broadheads

oh, i forgot to mention my set up...i dunno if this would have an effect on the destruction of the mechanical broad heads. i am shooting a 28 1/2" carbon arrow at approximately 320 fps. i shoot a jennings buckmaster /w a 3 1/2" overdraw /w a 32" drawlength at 80 pounds pull.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 AM

[:-]32" draw and 80 pounds = just what the mech.head doc ordered.
MAN,,I hate my short arms [:'(]
Old 01-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can visit my website www.broadheadtests.com and find a lot of info on mechanical heads and how the stack up. You can also do a search here to find more info than you could ever use. There are some excellent designs out there and with you setup you should be able to shoot some of the larger heads with good results. It's all about matching the head style, size, and penetration ability to your own setups Kinetic energy levels to maximize performance on game.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a 60lbs 28" draw and get pass thru's every time with Spitfire XP 100gr mechanical broadheads.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my opinion you can take thoes mechanical broadheads and throw then away. I have shot too many deer and when I cleaned or boned them out I have found too many mechanical heads that have failed even on good shots. In my mind these are junk and should no longer be legal to use.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally wish that mechanicals were illegal. Way too many stories of failures leading to dead but unrecovered deer. What's wrong with investing the time into tuning your bow and broadheadsproperly?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:09 AM

I to wish the mechanical broadheads were Illegal.If you talk to
many guides that have delt with them they will tell you the
same thing!Alot of pepole using the mechanical heads take shots
that you can take with a fixed blade,(Quartering) but the mechanicals
do not get the penatration alot of times because so much is used in the opening of the head!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Forget the Puckett's Bloodtrailer. That's right up towardthe top of the "Worst Mechanicals Ever Created" list!

About your bow.... I never knew that the Jennings Buckmaster was ever made at either 80 pounds draw or 32" draw length. [:-]But it should have enough power to poke a toilet plunger through a Cadillac. Any decent mechanical should work for you at those specs. If there is such a thing as a decent mechanical.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

A 32" draw and a 28 1/2" arrow? I don't get it.

Quick Reply: Mechanical Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.