HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   new to bow hunting any good advice? 13 yrs old (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/127323-new-bow-hunting-any-good-advice-13-yrs-old.html)

deer_hunter101 01-02-2006 04:01 PM

new to bow hunting any good advice? 13 yrs old

:Dhi i just got a parker buckshot for x-mas and im hoping to get to go out hunting with it next year but i have to practice first and i was wondering if any of you bowhunters had any good advice i should know about shooting bows. thank you for looking

Canoeboy 01-02-2006 04:16 PM

RE: new to bow hunting any good advice? 13 yrs old

I would suggest going to your local archery shop and see if they will give you a quick tutorial on shooting (proper technique, etc). When I picked up my first bow I all picked up alot of bad habits that were messing with my groups, if you are young and just starting avoid all that now.

Mark

3DBuckHunter 01-02-2006 06:22 PM

i am also 13, and i just started shooting last year. When you first start out, your groups probably won't be that good. When i started i lost three arrows in my yard lol. Just concentrate and don't get discouraged. Try and work on one thing at a time (nock point, form, grip, etc.), until you get it down pat.After a while, you will learn a lot, and your groups will probably shrink a lot.

killerinstict177 01-02-2006 06:31 PM

just start out by practicing. i am new to this too. i got my bow over the summer. At ten yards make sure your pins are correct and then back up to 15 then 20. For starters take all but 1 pin out of yoursight. This will let you find the right pin easier. Depending on your bow #edge you should shoot flat to 18 yrds with a 40#, 22 with a 50# or25 with a 60lb

good luck! practice makes perfect

stillhunt04 01-02-2006 07:00 PM

Awesome! A bow definately makes a good Christmas present. Simply put, practice makes perfect. First, learn some good form and try to keep it all the way through the release. Your groups will probably be huge, I know mine were. A lot of what you learn about shooting your bow is through shooting it several times. Good luck!

Scott/IL 01-02-2006 11:19 PM

Like Canoeboy said, start early with good habits. Also don't get discouraged if at first your groups aren't to good. Just keep practicing and you'll get it eventually.

Bols 01-03-2006 04:43 AM

I just started shooting myself and have been out 5 times. I really suffered the first few times out since I really didn't have anyone to help me out. I would suggest you either find someone you trust and are willing to take advice from and maybe ask them for help. Kind of like a coach. I know videos are good, but it doesn't compare to good first hand coaching.

Today I was shooting and learned a ton from a kid who has only been shooting 9 months. He learned from another guy who has been shooting for awhile.

So my recommendation is first, listen to the advice above, then secondly, find someone who possesses good strong knowledge in archery shooting. If you find someone early, he can keep you from struggling with bad form, wrong setups on your bow, and give you just simple and sound advice to make you a better shooter faster!

And most of all, have fun. I know I have, I hope you find it as rewarding as many people on this forum have.

brandon78 01-03-2006 07:08 AM

i taught myself how to shoot and i was doing just about everything wrong. Then i went to my local archery shop and he took sometime with me to show me how and i was amazed how much better my groups are now

BF1947 01-03-2006 08:22 AM

Just have to agree with those saying to get some coaching. Yep, the local pro-shop is a good place to start. Find a local club, possibly one with indoor shooting facilities. Live there, eat there, go home to sleep. Meet people, ask questions, have fun.

deer_hunter101 01-09-2006 03:33 PM

thanks for your replys