HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   broadhead for hog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/127286-broadhead-hog.html)

buckmasterg2xl 01-02-2006 12:35 PM

broadhead for hog

looking for recomendations for broadhead for hogs. i use mechanical 100 grain 2 bladed vortex for deer. will this work, or should i use a fixed blade?thanks.

ranchand99 01-02-2006 12:58 PM

RE: broadhead for hog

I have used mechanical,and fixed blades for hogs.If it is sharp it will work.Their hide is thicker,and they have more fat than a deer.(Atleast than our deer).If you can shave hair with your broadhead,or cut paper with slight pressureit will do fine.If you feel like that broadhead isn't sharp enough don't use it.I have had complete pass throughs with Thunderheads on hogs,with great exit wounds.I wouldn't hesitate to try my Rocky Mt. Ti,or a Snyper on one..They are also sharp out of the package.No sharpening required.I have shot hogs with spitfires,and shockwaves,steelheads,muzzys,and some other heads,but wasn't as impressed.Hope I helped.

Germ 01-02-2006 01:09 PM

Fixed sharp blade is my suggestion. I used a muzzy 4 years ago when I shot mine. Today I would use the MonTec 125

loverboy9_1_1 01-02-2006 02:59 PM

Shoot a broadhead you are comfortable with and make sure it is sharp.

NewbHunter 01-02-2006 03:03 PM

I just harvested a hog about 2 days ago with the 3 bladed muzzy's 100 grain and it did a good job. This is the only b/h's i have ever used so i dont know if theres alot better ones out there but that hog didint go more than 5 yards after the shot. I think there good b/h's and they would get the job done.

[/align]

MO_Bowhnter 01-02-2006 03:04 PM

I shot a hog last year with a 100 gr. NAP Nitron and it did the trick. My friend also had an impressive performance from a Montec G5. I would stick with fixed blade.

lou-lou 01-02-2006 03:44 PM

I was a big muzzy fan until I shot those slick tricks, more accurate and a much bigger hole. I couldn't believe it. I will be using Slick Tricks next year if I can find them. Go with Slick Tricks.

High Tine 01-02-2006 03:47 PM

I have always used fixed blades because of the thickness of hide and all the cartilage near the vitals area.

ijimmy 01-02-2006 04:21 PM

Id use a fixed cut on contact , like magnus . Ive shot some hogs and the bigger boars have a shield of very tough fat around their vitals . Wait for a quatering away shot and youll be fine . Ive used vortex in the past with good luck on deer , but given the choice , a fixed head is better choice for hogs .