Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting Discouraged >

Getting Discouraged

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting Discouraged

Old 01-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default Getting Discouraged

This is my first year hunting Im 43 and decided to take it up got a late start , didnt start till in november. and have yet to get a chance at a deer. The closest I have come was one off to the side of me. and she sighted me before I could get arrow nocked. had the deer in that area pretty much figured out the for whatever reason the landowner changed their mind about me hunting. so had to fid a new area, found an area about 4-5 achers a co-worker has there were deer there sometine in the eirly season but havent seen a single track there since the first shotgun season,, I now have another area to hunt a friend owns but have no ideal when and where the deer move on this land the friend has a guy that farms the groung and lets him hunt it and he has stands set up but he only hunts the eirly part of the season and the rut. dont know if these spots would still be good or not there are lots of tracks in the area and hedgeapples everywhere but think the deer might be moving at night have yet to see one, and am running out of time to get a deer,, only a few days left I can hunt.. its discouraging to say the least expically hearing guys talk about getting 5 , 10 even 20 deer already,, and I havent even gotten one in front of me, and the guys that know where they are wont take a new hunter along or share any tips.. everything I have lernt I have lernt online and reading magazines.. and gotten a few tips on this forum,, Have been thinking abouting a new bow I started with a real old used one, and have a new Bowtech Tribute ordered but wonder if I might shouldnt cancel the order thats a lot of dollars to spend if Im not gonna get a deer at some time, though going is enjoyable, would be a lot more satisfying to get the chance at a deer.. and I have already spent several hundred on cammo scent control, scents , lures, calls,, treestands , and stuff.. sure would be nice to get at least a chance at a deer..
Old 01-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting Discouraged

Relax... It's always best to think of it as "hunting"and not just "killing".

I am 44 years old and in my 4th year of hunting. I have yet to get my first deer. I've had great opportunities, but had a wicked case of what is known as "buck fever" and freaked out when a nice 8 pointer came in 20 yards behind me.

It takes a lot of determination and a lot of practice and most importantly, patience. Heck, I read about a guy who FINALLY got a deer after 15 years! Yes, 15 solid years of hunting and he finally got a deer! Sheesh..... I just hope I don't end up with a record like that! [:-]

I hunt public lands here in Virginia and mostly the state and federal forests. All I can suggest is to keep at it and keep going out to learn more and more each time you are out. Persistance will pay off. That is the way I look at it.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:19 AM

This is going to sound completly against every thing you read.
But here goes.The area you are hunting I dont Know how much
scouting you have done.One of the best meathods I have found for
late season is to actually need to see the deer.I dont know how much season you have left.The area's you have need to try to find a food sourse.Go into the woods very early wait til light enough to see then begin to EASE around.Watch were you jumpa deer.Look were it was see if there is sign fresh and old.If so it is a good bet they will return!Set up close.Or to were you can shoot the area.The deer you jump may or may not return
but late season there is usually a reason it was there!There will be more!
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Are you hunting because you just want to shoot something or do you enjoy being outdoors, seeing the sun come up, watching animals in their environment, etc. I've always preferred the outdoors even as a youngster. For me, hunting is a side benefit. I get a chance to get some tasty meat plus get to see things that I truly enjoy. If you are just doing it to shoot something, you probably won't be in it for the long haul. If you do enjoy being outdoors, do as ButchA suggests and relax. Keep reading, keep practicing. You will get out of hunting what you put into it and I don't mean buying every gadget or the latest, greatest whatever. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

I can feel your frustration... I began hunting when I was 16 years old... The first 4 years of hunting I saw just two deer, which I couldn't get a shot at. Then when I turned 20 it all changed... I have more than been able to fill my deer tag and finally at 28 years of age this year I took my first wall hanger... That is right 12 years!!! So keep your head up.

Having said that I love being in the woods and watching animals... I am the only one in my hunting group that spends all day in their stand. Granted I fall asleep from time to time (C'mon guys admit it we all do!). But I do get very bored if I don't see any deer so I can sympathize.

Is it legal to bait in Virginia? You might try that... Go out and put some ears of corn out for several weeks in a row... You will definately draw some deer. If not look for WHITE acorn trees (They are the long fat ones), not the RED acorns... Have learned my lesson. I have actually seen deer run the sound of acorns falling and every time I get a deer early in the season and field dress them, their guts are filled with acorns. Also look for patches of clover and if their aren't any think of planting some. Help out a hunting buddy do this on his land and maybe he will reward you.

That is another point. My family owns 300 acres in KY which I hunt... What frustrates me is a few of us put a significant amount of time into planting food plots, putting up stands, scouting, etc. We ask for help from our hunting buddies every year and they come up with a barage of excuses why they can't, but when hunting time roles around they are the first to ask to come hunting... Next years rule on our land you help you hunt,you don't you don't!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Oh boy oh boy, do I feel your pain. It can be discouraging, frustrating, agravating, and just downright unfair. Here's the thing, though. You are thinking of giving up something after only a month or so of trying it.

Do you enjoy shooting your bow? Your new Bowtech will help that a lot too. It's amazing how much fun technology can be. Keep target shooting with buddies and in the yard. It really is fun. Deer hunting, especially with a bow, is tough business. Some people make it look easy, but some of that is attributed to the fact that sometimes they have better areas to hunt. They also live, breathe, eat and sleep deer and deer hunting.

Learn everything you can in the offseason. Set small, achievable goals for yourself. Before you can SEE deer, you must FIND deer. I would suggest reading Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon. This book teaches you to read topo maps and how deer move in relation to the terrain. This can be a HUGE tool for ground you are unfamiliar with. This spring and summer, go do some scouting and find out what the deer are eating and where they are sleeping. If you can find those 2 things, you'll see deer.

After you sightings improve, then maybe set a goal of getting a shot at one. Don't be discouraged if you miss, I have been doing this for years and I miss at least one every season.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't give up because it's hard. Believe in yourself, have some confidence, accept the fact that it's not easy and go after 'em! Believe you me, when you do connect........................you'll forever be hooked!!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes !

Sometime's it take's a long time to really get to know the wood's that your hunting in and how the deer move in it ,but once you can pattern the deer and learn where their bedding area is, and where they feed after they come from these bedding area's ,you'll be right on target for your first archery deer harvest .
You may want to either put your stand a little higher in the tree as well .
The first thing you need to do is check for heavily traveled trail's ,this would be a good start and hang a stand back off the traill from it ,I'm sure you'll soon see deer travaling through it . Now that it's late season you'll really need to look for a good food source ,this is where the deer will be now .

nubo
Old 01-02-2006, 10:27 AM

man, if you can hang in there until one gives you a heart attack, whether or not you get a shot off, you'll be hooked.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I am giving up just discouraged at not getting a deer in front of me I still have a few days left the season is not over yet , just having second thoughts about putting over a grand into a bow.. if I am not going to be able to get the chance to shoot a deer,, going out to scout some more now since the rain has stopped..
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 46 and have been deer hunting for 34 years. Some times you will have a bad year. This is the first year in five years that I haven't killed a decent buck. Sometimes it happens that way. Don't get discouraged. Fortunately, I have another month and a half to bow hunt, but the bucks are already shedding their antlers.

Quick Reply: Getting Discouraged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.