Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting Discouraged >

Getting Discouraged

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting Discouraged

Old 01-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting Discouraged

You said a deer busted you before you got an arrow nocked. I would suggest you always have an arrow nocked when you get to where you are hunting or on your stand. Not to be harsh but you are not owed a deer because you spent alot of money or alot of time on stand. You have to earn your stripes just like every new hunter does. Don't get me wrong I hope you get a deer but there are many on here that have hunted for years and haven't gotten one. If you are not enjoying yourself than maybe you should cancel that new bow order, but I bet if you think about it you will realize your having fun and learning. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

ok guess what I didnt mention when the deer busted me was that I had set my bow down cause it was in the teens that day and I had the hand warmers and was warming my hands when the deer showed up so it was before I could get the arrow renocked.. and I know nois owed a deer because of what they have spent.. maybe a lot of what I am saying is coming accross wrong,, it is discouraging not geting a chance to have a deer in front of me,, and listening to guys talk about having to force themselfs to go out because they have already gotten 5 , 7 or 10 plus deer, If I knew for fact that when I go out I was gonna get a deer if I chose to then dont think there would be much fun in it.. I have herd I have let 4 or 5 6 pointers walk past. have already shot 2 or 3 of them,, and have talked to several that this was thier first yeay and they got deer, I wont give up will be out way before the season starts next year scouting and finding out where and when the deer are moving..
Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 PM

I think the people that are killing in their first year are in one of three categories. They are having dumb luck, they started hunting in the summer (scouting, patterning deer, etc), or they have very nice friends who are helping them along.
I did the same as you, I started hunting last year in late November. Had absolutley no idea what I was doing. I just went out and found a big trail then looked for a tree I could use my climber in and then would sit there and stare at the trees. I finally got to see something in early January after a friend told me a spot to go to, of course I spooked that buck off before the release ever hit the string!
Sooo, I spent alot of time in the offseason, reading forums, hiking woods, looking at topo maps, and getting a little advice from a buddy of mine. That all came together this season and I have killed 2 bucks and 4 does, hell I see deer just about everytime out. Point is, give it some time, pay your dues, and by all means find a hunting buddy who is willing to pass on his years of knowledge, that will give you a head start for next year!
(of course take all this with a grain of salt, I live in Illinois which from what I read here that is just not fair! [:'(])

Mark
Old 01-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Hang in there bud it takes time and patiance to harvest a deer with a bow. I know how ya feel tho, it took me 7 yrs to bag my first with a bow. I also taught myself how to hunt on state property and learned something everytime out. hang in there it will get better, find a bow that your comfortable with and practice, practice, practice.. and get to know the land in the off season.. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I think back to when I first started hunting, man, that was a long time ago and I was green as they come. I was only 12, took me 4 years to kill a deer. Partly because I was an idiot, and I was getting stuck with the "drop the kid off on the way type stands".

Best advice I can give you is to become friends with some guys at a local shop where you can shoot. Learn from others what they've learned the hard way. Good influence makes a HUGE difference in learning the skills required to consistantly kill deer. Most really good whitetail hunters hang around with guys equal or better. Like any sport, your influences are a huge part of success. Don't be afraid to ask questions, regardless of how "dumb" you feel. You must realize, we've all been where you are now. The one advantage you have over many of us is that we didn't have the internet sites to use in our advantage. They are actually a huge factor in where I am today with some nice trophies to show for it.

I can't emphasize how important it is to hone your bow skills in the range before going hunting. It can be extremly difficult to get a deer within range, you MUST make every opportunity count. I kill a nice buck every year, and most of the time it's the first and only opportunity I get on what I consider a shooter. Of all the mistakes a beginner can make, in my opinion poor acuracy is no. 1. If you don't believe me, talk to any serious hunter and they can tell you gut wrenching stories of encounters they had early in they're hunting days. Sometimes, with the biggest bucks they've ever encountered. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Most importantly, learn from them.

I would highly recommend getting a good portable stand to allow you to move regularly. Only hunt a stand on a good wind, and if you aren't seeing deer, then move! I can't tell you how many wasted hours (probably thousands) I've spent on the same stands because I didn't realize I should move. If you aren't seeing deer, move. Don't stop moving (even if it is every single day) until you are are regularly seeing deer. If you aren't seeing any deer in an entire area, find a different area to hunt. You will not kill something unless there is something there to kill.

Good luck, what a journey you have in-front of you!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the input Guess I am going to have to spend a lot of time at the local proshop when I can in the off season hopefully can get to know some guys willing to share what they have learned..