Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 i need your guy's opinions >

i need your guy's opinions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i need your guy's opinions

Old 01-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: i need your guy's opinions

Man... I hate this "Your not a real bowhunter" crud!!! If you feel comfortable with a red dot then use one... I would rather you make a humane kill then worry about the stigma of what a bowhunter really should use... If you like it and it is legal, use it!!!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Spike

I've personally never used one, but I know people who have taken a lot of differentanimalsusing one. I'm not sure if they're still using them since I moved out of the area. Use what you're comfortable with.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 AM

I have tried one before. The draw backs are weight, expense, it limits you to one pin (some are movable, but most are stationary), and you are using something that requires batteries and can fail at the worst possible moment. Oh they are also a bit of a pain to set up, sort of like a no peep.

The upsides are they work great in low light, you can adjust the size of your pin (light intensity) and you can use one without a peep if set up correctly.

If I were strictly going to hunt at 25 yards and in I might consider one again, even farther if you had a really fast bow (mine is not). But if you do all kinds of shooting at different ranges I like a pin sight, either multiple pin or movable.

I don't see where using a red dot is cheating any more than using any of the newer fiber optic pins that are really bright or work off an external light source. I don't see how anyone that shoots a modern compound can look down on someone that wants to use a red dot. It's not like he wants to use a six power scope to shoot spots at 20 yards. The red dot offers no real advantage other than an easier to see pin and you can do away with your peep. Those are things you can do with regular pin sights as well.

Paul
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Paul!

To each his own on this one ,I'd just say try it and if you like it "fine", if you don't then "fine' there's many option's .just need to find one that siut's you best .

nubo
Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 AM

I cant see the difference between a red pn and a red dot. Red dot's are for quick target aquisition and so u can shootwith one eye open. you are shooting animals not clearing rooms for swat!?!