Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooter buck???

Old 12-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shooter buck???

With out this thread turning into a pissing match,what do you consider a "shooter" buck?

Please leave any arguments and personal attacks out of this thread..... I would like to see what everyone has to say as well as their thoughts on this subject.

I have faith in our members that this thread can be civil.

Lets here what you think.....

Old 12-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooter buck???

For me it all depends where I hunt. If i'm on our family's land upstate we set out trail cams and scout a lot when we're putting in food plots and such. This started me on a new trend of targeting the biggest buck that was around and hunting exclusively for him. I shouldn't say exclusively, if I couldn't get him by the last week of late season, or if someone else got him,then anything legal.
If I go hunting on State Game land, then it's anything legal.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on where I am hunting. When I am hunting in Vermont, it is any animal that is legal with the exception of a button buck. Yes, I will kill a 7 month old doe there, and I will kill a yearling 3-4 pointer there. You can't shoot spikes.

In my PA property in Bradford County, or in NY near Oneonta where I hunt, I am looking for a 1.5+ year old doe, or a 3.5+ year old buck. Every situation is different though, I passed a 3.5 year 90-100" 8 pointer in NY this year but only because a solid 135" buck came through 20 minutes earlier, and because it was the first day of my week off work to hunt the rut.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

and because it was the first day of my week off work to hunt the rut.
Don't leave me hanging like that.......What happened the rest of the week?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

and because it was the first day of my week off work to hunt the rut.
Don't leave me hanging like that.......What happened the rest of the week?
Tag soup...........lol.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt almost totally on public land, and i try to wait for a 2.5 year old buck, i ussually wont shoot a doe. We do have some farmland that we can hunt and there is some really nice deer out there, theni wont shoot unless i think he scores at least 120-130.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have only taken 1 with a bow so sorry, but "if its brown its down".
As long as its a legal deer.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the situation I am in. This year I passed on some decent bucks (100-110) and ended up being the first year I didn't harvest a buck in4 years. In result though I got to spend more time in the woods and saw 3 130 inch deer and 2 140 inch bucks. If any of the bucks I passed up on walked by me now I would take the shot with only a few weeks left.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to avoid shooting button bucks, or fawn does.....but it has happened a time or two.

Any 1.5 or older doe is good for me....but I avoid taking more than one from any one property to keep the #'s up.

As for bucks.....at the beginning of this year....I wanted a 4 pt or bigger....my only buck at that time was a 3 pt.
I accomplished my goal and took a 5 pt...too bad it was with a flintlock...but I did see a couple "shooters" in archery...just didn't pan out.

Now next year I won't be a junior hunter anymore in PA...so I will take the first legal buck I see...4 points or more to one side.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

A "shooter" is a buck that is larger than my biggest which is a basket 8pt.

Quick Reply: Shooter buck???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.