Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooter buck???

Old 01-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooter buck???

Personally it depends. Depends on the time of year, and also area I'm hunting. The first part of the year, my shooter buck is 140 +... But during late season, or if I'm really eager a 120 class buck is fine. Anything smaller, and i'll just shoot a doe.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:45 PM

I will wait for a 160" - 170" Most of the time...

For about the first ten minutes of the season

then I reduce it to

Around 130" or so. Whatever makes book. Or looks cool hanging on the wall.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's about how it looks to me. If I want to put it on the wall I'll shoot. To give you an idea 110" range or better is probably realistic. A 125" or 130" is a pretty nice buck in this area, not the best but I'm not looking to shoot the buck of a lifetime every year. I try to pick a size buck that I'd have a good chance on every year. I've shot plenty of 100" and under that it just seems a waste of potential now.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll shoot if it's over 130" in indiana unless i'm in some prime territory, or if the deer is just a freak and is awesome looking, now don't get me wrong on that though when I say freak i'm not talking about a small freak, it's gotta be big, or i'll shoot a cull buck. We do have a few deer that should be taken out due to genetics. It's interesting I've seen deer that have the exact same rack as they did the year before and it hasn't grown, due to genetics and age i think. I will kill a cull buck to get it out. We've been working real hard on management however, and after the next few years i'm sure i'll up my bar. It's rare to see a 120" deer in the area I hunt but we've managed it well, and have seen quite a few. I passed up 3 to 4 120" deer this year and even one that pushed the 130" mark.....I decided he'd be to big next year, due to the fact that he had some kickers of his g2's. He'll be a monster next year. That's my story and I stick to it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:41 PM

i waited for the big one this year most of the season and now its over and im meatless. next yearthe first buck i see is dead. i guess i should've thought about the fact that i am allowed 4 tags a day.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

something that would make me happy. I don't shoot young bucks, and still haven't shot a buck this year. could have, but I just don't get anything out of it. I will shoot something if it satisfies me.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I try not to shoot anythign under 6 points. Id prefer it be 8 points or more, but if a big 6 or nice 7 pointer woudl come by, WHACK!!! But it woudl have to have a nice body. I have shotten some spikes that can put some 10 pointers to shame body wise. Im in it for the meat. Heres the 7pt'r I shot during the 05 bow season. He dressed out at 187 1/4lbs

Old 01-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Any buck that scores 120 or over, I consider a shooter buck.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Spike

In my own oppinion a "shooter buck" is basically any buck that isn't a doe, 4-pointer (scrub buck) or any buck that abides by what state the hunter is hunting in, example; If you are hunting in an area where an antler restriction (AR) is implied such as 4 -points to a side bylaw, then a "shooter buck" would have to be anything with atleast 4 points to one side, etc.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 PM

west virginia i shoot anything to fill my tags. if its a 3 point, thats my buck. i save the trophy hunting for PA since we have antler restrictions and try not to shoot unless i think they're over 110". as far as does, again if i have a tag for it i'm probably gonna shoot it in wv. PA i prefer to shoot the younger more tender does and leave the big girls out there because their fawn mortality is high, and there's also the chance that the bigger does can give birth to three fawns.

Quick Reply: Shooter buck???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.