Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question about respect.... >

question about respect....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question about respect....

Old 12-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default question about respect....

do y'all expect your friends and family to respect your honey hole(s)? and how do you handle it if they decide to move on in?
the reason i ask is that i hunt this place that i've found...been huntin' the same area for years...it's on public land so i know i don't have any real rights but i do expect my huntin' buddies to respect it...if i'm not huntin' it or not planning on huntin' there or if someone is having a crappy season then i'll share....i hunt there because everyone knows i'llbe there and they tend to stay out of the general area out of respect...it's where i'm at peace...if i see something or not it's where i love to be....now i'm fueding once again with someone because they have threatened to hunt it....they know i have a hunt the following week so i asked they stay out of the area but they threw a fit...i told them i'd be out there to scout if i couldn't hunt and then i was threatened...they said they'd get me for interferring with a hunt...even though it would be legal for me to be there...i just have to wait unitl 8am which i have no problem doing...i'm going just out of spike at this point.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: question about respect....

sounds like you need to get a new group of hunting friends. I have a very good friend that I have been hunting with for a number of years. We have a lease in northern MO but go to public ground in central MO if we don't have the time to travel the 4+hours to get to a lease.

We invited another friend to join us on the public ground hunt. After the first day my one friend and I discussed the amount of deer we saw, the direction they were coming from, etc... We were on two separate ridges coming off a corn field. We have a great relationship and scout together, set up multiple stands to hunt and discuss openly our hunting strategy. We are truly a good team and work well together.

The next day we broke for lunch and we going back to camp and the guy we invited was set up right in the middle of the draw that was between the 2ridges.

Needless tosay, we were both furious. He hasn't been invited back and we bothed learned not to discuss what we are seeing with anyone that we fear willruin our hunting experince.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:00 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I also have my favorite spots that I try to save for Tyler ( son )and I. Most years everyone I hunt with willstayed out. This year they hammered a couple of spots with rifle. A first I was not happy about it, but after thinking about it... they had just as much right to hunt it as I did. They are not bowhunters even though one does try to hunt with a bow. They don't understand about not pressuring an area even though I have tried to tell them. It is easier letting them have their fun than getting into a heated agruement over it. It is a waste of my time.

It gives me a reason to find new honey holes should this happen again. Plus shouldTyler or Itake a deer out of these hammered areas with bow... we can feel an even greater acomplishment of taking pressured deer. A couple weeks ago Tyler hunted one of the spots and passed on a good130 class 4 pt at 12 yards. Tomorrow we are going to huntanother oneof these spots.

I do believe a guy should respect other's spots especially if they are bowhunters. I also believe in treating someone as they have treated me.The gloves are off with the wannabe bowhunter in our group. He ismore territorialthen me. Might just have to see how he likes me hunting his spots!!I suppose you could call it a lesson in respecting others.

Best advice is to find a couple new honey holes and don't tell anyone.

Tim
Old 12-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd talk to all the friends and family in your circle and let them know what's going on. Sometimes it takes everyone in the groupganging up on a butthead to get them to see the light.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it someone we know?

Someone who still hasn't gotten her first deer with a bow yet?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:05 PM

TJF
A couple weeks ago Tyler hunted one of the spots and passed on a good130 class 4 pt at 12 yards. Tomorrow we are going to huntanother oneof these spots.
when you say 4 pt you mean an 4x4 like an 8 pt right? because if you mean 2x2 4 pt that thing would be huge!!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Rule #1: they don't call it public land for nothing.
Rule #2: treat your fellow hunters as you would like to be treated.
In the event of a dispute, see #1 -And keep a honey hole or two to yourself.

Fortunately for me,most of my fellow huntersthat hunt the same public land (a military base) follow #2. It's nice to be able to share an adventure or two, and not worry if you'll find someone in your tree the next time out...consequently, the clique I hang with shares information freely - much of which just gets filed away.

From the other side of the coin: My bowhunting partner got permission to hunt from a localfarmer, and in his first time out he had unknowningly set up near a pet spot of someone else. The guy walked in, saw my friend, blew a fuse, and left swearing a blue streak up and down, noteven talking to my friend. The guy then droveback into the fieldin his pickup truck - just to throwa tree stand in the bed (twice), and left spinning his tires.My partner, one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to share the woods with, never had the chance to say anything to this idiotic nut case - and henever went back to the farm.
-fsh
Old 12-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Is it someone we know?

Someone who still hasn't gotten her first deer with a bow yet?

Your a baaaaaaaad boy BF.
Hope you can work it out huntress.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

i go through this EVERY YEAR....this deer season was the FIRST season since i found the place about 7yrs ago....who it is really isn't important...actuallyit is but the name of the person isn't....and i REFUSE to find a new place because i am the one who found this place and then like an idiot shared it...this place isn't full of critters but i have managed to take some nice critters from there....i hunt it because it's where i feel at home...it's where i'm at complete peace....i also hunt there in order to avoid huntin' close to my other huntin' buddies...out of respect.....like i said i know it's public land and that i really don't have any real rights to it...but it's a respect thing at this point....what's even more bewildering is that this person respects everyone else's spots and is usually very ethical...they are perfectly capable of finding good areas on their own....they even had a better season than i did this year.....guess i just don't understand how someone who demands the respect of others can't show respect back...is it a respect issue or an ethics issue??
Old 12-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Respect? Ethics? I think the word "character" defines it better. "Class" is another word that comes to mind. I think the person in question is a little light in both areas. Whoever it is certainly doesn't give a flip about you,your feelings or your friendship. Seems to be a narcissistic boor who thinks the world revolves around him. Hmmm... It's not Jackie Bushman is it.?? [:-][8D]

Quick Reply: question about respect....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.