Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowtech Tomkat?? >

Bowtech Tomkat??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech Tomkat??

Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Bowtech Tomkat??

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum. I really enjoy reading all of your feedback about different archery products. My question is this,

I have just recently put a Bowtech Tomkat in layaway. I compared a few bows side by side Hoyt Powertech, Bowtech Tomkat and the Mathews Switchback. I chose the Tomkat due to price and how smooth the draw was compared to the others and the speed of the bow. There were other issueswith the other bows I just didn't care for. I have noticed a lot of you like the Tribute or Allegiance. Is there a reason more of you don't care for the Tomkat? Is a price or quality issue? I just don't know if I should just buck up and put more $$ back and get a better bow. I am just going to be hunting with it and maybe a little target or 3D practice. Thanks for the information and again I really enjoy this site.

Missouri Migr8r
Old 12-21-2005, 09:56 AM

Default RE: Bowtech Tomkat??

Hey welcome to the forum. I shoot an '05 TomKat, and I love it. For the price the TomKat is a great little bow to use, in my opinion. I don't know if you put an '05 or an '06 in layaway, but the '05 has a single cam, and they recently put in binary cams for the new ones. If I could ever afford it though an Allegiance would be awesome! lol
Old 12-21-2005, 12:52 PM

I put the 06 model in layaway. It has the binary cam system. I tried the Hoyt Powertec and I just didn't care for the draw. It wasn't very smooth. I tried the Mathews Switchback and I didn't care for the grip or the top weight. I liked the way the Tomkat felt. The only problem is I didn't get to shoot any of them. I am heading out tonight to test run a couple bows at another shop. I hope I can decide if I want to just spend more $$ or what. I like the package on the Tomkat, I had some other sites and rest in mind. I just hate spending the $$ on a package deal that I am going to replace anyway. Thanks again for the help and comments.

JB
Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Have an 05 tomkat, and love it.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 PM

I went to a pro shop tonight and talked with the owner and he told me I might have a problem shooting the Tomkat due to my long draw. He said that the sight window is extremely small due to the bows size and with me having a 30in draw I would be looking at the top part of the site window of the bow when I look at my sites. What he said makes sense to me, but I was just curious if anyone had a problem with this. Thanks,
JB
Old 12-23-2005, 07:35 AM

Hadn't noticed that on mine, but I shoot a 28.5" draw. I mean, it is near the top of the window, but nowhere near close enough to cause a problem for me. Trying to figure out the trigonometric basis for that in my brain and coming up scratching my head. Doesn't seem to me it could make any significant difference. Technically an extra 1.5" of draw would raise the line of sight , but my math can only make it move less than 1/4". Make him put a sight on it and show you. I just don't see Bowtech selling a bow that 30" archers can't shoot.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:17 PM

have a 05 tomkat and love the thing more then any thing.... well not anything