HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting pheasants? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/125413-bowhunting-pheasants.html)

muzzy100 12-17-2005 04:16 PM

Bowhunting pheasants?

I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried to arrow a rooster? I though i would give it a go tonight in my blind in a foodplot. I saw lots of roosters but unfortunatly i had made my shooting lanes to short and none steped into it. When i was getting out of my blind i look up and there is a rooster 20yds away. iI let the arrow go and the rooster went up into the air and flipped a few times then hit the gorund. i was so pumped i thought i had killed my first rooster with a bow. i ran out to my arrow only to find no rooster or feathers or blood of any sorts. Anyway i was bummed out but i think that i am going to give it a go agian tomorrow. Wish mte luck!

Nick

Rockey100 12-17-2005 04:20 PM

RE: Bowhunting pheasants?

Yeah a friend and i went pheasant hunting tonight and we took out our bows and it was alot of fun other then the fact of almost freezing off our hands. It's almost a much fun as deer hunting.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-17-2005 08:53 PM

Yes but only from my treestand while bowhunting. Yes, I was successful.:D

jayuu 12-17-2005 09:01 PM

i have an old bowhunting book and they have arrows with a 10 inch round wire fence deal right behind the field point for hunting birds. looks fun but i dont want to lose all my arrows.

DaveH 12-18-2005 03:07 AM

Stacey Grosscup used to hunt pheasants with his bow the way most people gun hunt them - and he was very successful at it. He was the guy who used to shoot aspirin tablets out of the air with his bow - I saw him do 7 in a row one time. He just recently passed away.

cravingame 12-18-2005 03:37 AM

Never hunted pheasants but have hunted grouse during a archery elk hunt in Idaho. Man that was fun.

bdu33 12-18-2005 08:06 AM

Yeah...took one with my bow at 20 yds. Caught him eating gravel on a logging road. He flew quite a bit with my arrow in him before he went to the ground. I have a 35MM photo of him but notscanned yet. Grouse are a dime a dozen here in western Wa....their too fun too...ghosts in the woods IMO.

TeeJay 12-18-2005 08:27 AM

Yes, I have shot many. I always have 1 judo or field point in my quiver. Just for this reason.

Rockey100 12-18-2005 03:38 PM

What works better for geting a pheasants, a judo point, a field point or a field point with adder points on there.

Thanks.

deernutz 12-18-2005 03:41 PM

My dad used to tell me stories when he was young back in the sixties hunting them with bows in Indiana with floo floo arrows. He said it was fun!