Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What should you do if...? >

What should you do if...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What should you do if...?

Old 10-13-2002, 01:41 PM

Default What should you do if...?

Tomorrow is opening day for us here in Mass.. So I have permission to hunt this land near an orchard, scouted it for the last couple months picked the spot for my opening day morning stand, set that up just now. However as I am leaving I find another stand about 100 yards up the ridge. Should I still hunt there in the a.m. or not? If I don't I will have to go in and get my stand in the afternoon to move it. I am thinking of hunting anyway, but what do you think. I was there a week ago and this stand wasn't, I don't know if this guy is hunting tomorrow and I don't know if he has permission to use this land. What do you think?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:50 PM

Default RE: What should you do if...?

I would follow your original plan. What if you saw that other guy drag out a beauty and you moved to a cold location? Also, the other guy may not show on opening day. Also, others sometimes push deer towards you.

You should continue to scout and find a couple of other locations anyway. Once hunters enter the woods, the deer start to change their paths to avoid contact.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2002, 02:14 PM

Default RE: What should you do if...?

ma hunter,

That is good advice that fredbearfan gave you. A person needs to always have a few different locations to go to (weather, wind, etc.). I would also recommend that you contact the landowner to see who all has permnission to hunt on that particular piece of land. Since you have permission it would also be good to get the landowner to sign a poermission slip in case anyone tries to give you a hard time for being there. If you feel that the 2 stands are too close together you might want to let him know where you are at on openiong morning. You should be able to tell how he is entering the property and be able to meet him before the both of you enter the woods. If both parties have permission, try to work it out without squabbling so the landowner doesnt have to get involved. There should be room for the both of you to hunt.

Good luck on opening day,

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!