Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question of ethics...."First light" >

Question of ethics...."First light"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question of ethics...."First light"

Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question of ethics...."First light"

This year I was in my stand in Pa for the opening morning. I heard the first shot at 6:22 AM. I couldn't even see my watch yet, without a light!

I thought hmmm maybe it was accidental and a gun went off while loading or closing the bolt...until I heard the follow-up shot a minute or so later.

How proud could this hunter be of a deer shot in head-lights or under the light behind his camp???
Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Honestly.....I can't distinguish any difference in my situation and one involving a fog or mist. I KNOW I can get this shot off SAFELY. My question is only whether or not I have sufficient light to see through my peep (assuming it's "legal" time). If I do....I'm going to take this deer. If it ends up being a spike....it'll be the biggest-bodied spike I've ever seen.....and I'll live with it.

It's a full-grown deer......the largest I've seen, this season.

Thanks again for your responses.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

It's what you do when nobody is watching, when no oneelse willknow, that matters. Take personalsatisfaction in doing it the right way, not just in the size of your gut pile.If it is within legal time to take a shot, yet too dark to be sure of your aim point and/or target, then it is simple- do nottake the chance.If it is outside legal hours, and you still think it is ok to shoot, then I'll ask what other lawsare also ok to "bend"/break? - wheredoes it end??

A neighbor once questioned me why I "wasted" so much time bowhunting- if he wanted a deer, he just went out to his pasture at night and shot one; he was clueless. If it was easy, anyone could do it.

-fsh
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM

have you tried looking at it through a set of binos? They
may gather enough light for you to tell what it is.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your 14 yr old son asked you this queston, what would you tell him? I would tell my kid, not just no but he11 NO! How are you going to be able to tell where you hit him. Which way he went after the shot. If you have a buck tag and mention you cant see any antlers. What makes you so sure this animal is a buck? Stupid is what stupid does!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

why dont u just shine your flash ligh on him... its not exactly illegal, just to see if it is a doe or buck
Old 12-15-2005, 06:02 PM

I would not shoot if I could not clearly see my sights and clearly see the deer. Its not worth crippling the deer.
I would shoot if I could clearly see the deer and my pins, even if legal shooting time wasn't for another few minutes.

You have a sight light and can only see an outline of the deer? I wouldn't shoot if I wasn't positive I could pull off a fatal shot. Don't question your ability if you have complete confidence in your shot.

If you can't tell if its a buck or doe, its probably not enough light to shoot.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I knew I could make a clean shot on this deer and had a tag for both sexes then it would get an arrow through the boiler room. No doubt about it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rocketman has the answer........any decent 8X43 Roof Prism binos will answer the question for you. If you can see a head, tail legs etc TRUST ME the binos will see any antlers.
Question answered.

Next if it's legal shooting hours, and you feel comfortable with the shot and it's an animal you want........shoot it.

Identify it first, then shoot or don't shoot based upon whatever shooting criteria you have self imposed.
I might also suggest a "No-Peep" option in place of your conventional peep sight or one with a bigger hole. The Tru-Peep Magnum is a full 1/4" opening and might be the anser to the shot portion of your question.

Borrow or buy some good binos though, every bowhunter can benefit from their use, and you'll find yourself using them all the time........deer off the road when you drive around, birds in the backyard, sporting events etc.
It's a quality investment. They will also help you in the follow up phase of shooting at deer with a bow allowing you to see and follow an animal much clearer as it leaves the area after a shot. This type of feedback can give you vital clues to arrow placement and possible tracking help later on.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd pass it - or wait until it was obviously a doe or buckin legal hunting hours.

I could make the same argument you make - at 2:00am on Oct 30th with a full moon.

The laws are there for a reason - I think is our responsibility to follow them to the best of our ability.

FH

Quick Reply: Question of ethics...."First light"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.