Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Looking For Advice On Pass Thru Shots >

Looking For Advice On Pass Thru Shots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking For Advice On Pass Thru Shots

Old 12-13-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Looking For Advice On Pass Thru Shots

I have been trying to achieve a complete pass thru on shots but unable to do so andthe last two deer I took were shot at only 20-25 yards. I am thinking there maybe something wrong with setup but I am not sure what. I am shooting a Switchback set at 60 lbs and 28" Draw. Drop Zone Rest, Easton A/C Super Slim 400 (9.7gpi) cut to 27" with 4" feathers. The broadheads were 100gr Crossfire (fixed)and 100gr Tekan (mechanical). I think it may have something to do with either my arrow setup or maybe a tuning problem. Though I have bareshafted tuned and paper tuned at various distances with my field tips, I have not paper tuned with my broadheads. When practicing with my broadheads they are right on target so I have never thought it was necessary. I sure would appreciate any advise or thoughts? Are they any statistical ratios or rules of thumb to consider when determining proper bow and arrow set? Thanks Again!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking For Advice On Pass Thru Shots

Are you recovering the deer? If yes why worry about it! I used to shoot a old 8mm mouser during rifle season. There was times that never got a pass through! If you are hiting them and finding them, why worry!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Maybe you should try a heavier arrow that will have more down range energy.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

so many variables here. Where are you hitting, what angle is the deer to you. Like teejay said are you recovering the deer. I would worry if at that distance I had a good broadside shot at the lungs and the arrow wouldn't penetrate both lungs.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmister

so many variables here. Where are you hitting, what angle is the deer to you. Like teejay said are you recovering the deer. I would worry if at that distance I had a good broadside shot at the lungs and the arrow wouldn't penetrate both lungs.
Yep, we need more info.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

UHHHGGG!!What is the obsession with complete pass throughs? Do people think that because they get a pass through that it is a for sure kill? To me a well placed shot, pass through or not, is what it is all about. Don't let yourself fall into the "need to be faster, shoot more wieght" trap. As long as you are hitting your mark and getting 4-5 inches of penetration, you will recover your animal.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to consider is what are you hitting in the deer...and what is the relative size of the deer? Are you hitting ribs? Shoulder bones? Large heavy muscle? Are the deer 200+ pounds? Or closer to 100?

Also what type of shots are you taking? Are they broadside or quartering away?

If you are killing the deer quickly and getting a good blood trail, then you don't have a whole bunch to worry about. One thing you could try, like others have said, is a heavier arrow. If you bow is tuned properly...and it sounds like it is, then that is what I would try.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is nice to have the extra hole for more blood trail. Turn that switchback up about 5 lbs.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:15 PM

Providing you have good shot placement I don't seen why you are not getting pass thru's. You have plenty of power for it at that range.

I would much rather have a pass thru. It leaves a much better blood trail and I feel an arrow that zips thru a deer vrs stopping in it has less shock to the deer and they don't try and run as far. At least that has been my experience.

You don't have to have it but it sure is nice.

Paul
Old 12-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are hitting the deer in the middle of the lung area you should have no problem getting a passthrough.You don't have enough energy to blow through bothshoulder blades and have your arrow on the groundwith any weight arrow imo.

What is your broadhead cutting diameter.With your energy level you need to be less than 1 3/16" imo.I am shooting 28 1/2" @ 58 pounds so my energy level is almost identical.I use 3-39 ACC's with 100 grain Rocket Steelheads and I am buring arrows in the ground after a passthrough.My arrowsonly weigh 380 grains.So it can be done with your setup.

Another possibilty is you are getting excited and applying lots of torque causing really bad arrow flight.With the grip on the Mathews this is more possible than you might think.You are doing fine on the paper but may not be doing fine in the field.I may be totally off base here so don't take offense.But I am leaning toward shot placement and/or broadhead size.Like others have stated,need more info please.[:-]

Quick Reply: Looking For Advice On Pass Thru Shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.