Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why bowhunting is better >

Why bowhunting is better

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why bowhunting is better

Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Why bowhunting is better

I'm new to hunting, but I would just like to tell you guys why I think bow hunting is better then gun hunting. If you think bow is better then gun please reply to the topic.

1. Gun season for deer in ohio is only for a week.

2. Bow hunting is more of a challenge.

3. Bow hunting last about 3 to 4 months in ohio. Not sure the dates though. I would have to look them up, and I'm lazy.

Don't get me wrong though. I'll still gun hunt, but I still like bow hunting best. I do like hunting for small game though.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why bowhunting is better

Definantly more of a challenge. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohio Bow season ---1st saturday in Oct till Jan 31st
Old 12-09-2005, 09:52 AM

I hunted for the first time in Dec 2002-- I went duck hunting with my father in law. I hunted deer for the first time the following season. I just bought a bow this year. Haven't scored yet but I can honestly say, sitting in a stand with a bow is the most exciting hunt I have ever experienced. I feel like a sniper with my rifle. With my bow, I am hunting. I am addicted and obsessed with bowhunting!!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:56 AM

1. It takes a lot more effort than gun hunting. I was hunting on game lands near state college last year and moved stands many times looking to pattern this one 10 point. I saw him twice and each time, i knew the general area where he was going to be but not the exact trail he would be using. Both times, I could have easily killed him with a rifle....60 yards...but with a bow, it just ate at me all season that i had walked over his trail not 2 hours before!

2. Anyone can just go out with a rifle and get shots at deer, at least from my prospective

3. You have to be close to your prey. (goes with my example from number 1). With my rifle two years ago, I had 7 doe run right up to me at like 15 yards while hunting on the ground. They stopped and i could have shot anyone of them. To get a shot off with a bow would have been hard but with a rifle, all i had to do was pull up and pull the trigger. They stayed there for about 2 minutes before bolting but it would have been too easy.

4. Bowhunting is more of a rush because typically you see the animal and have to wait for it to come into range. This really gets the heart pumping! With a rifle, you can see a deer in 2 seconds, be on it and pull the trigger. Take for example rifle season in PA two years ago, I have just driven out some pines for my dad to try and get him a deer. I only kicked out a few grouse so we sat under this big pine tree and had lunch for about 15-20 minutes. In a matter of 5 seconds, 2 doe ran out into the field, my dad was on the bigger one and dropped it just like that. Really anticlimatic in my opinion.

5. Getting to watch your arrow fly perfectly through the kill zone
Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

This is only my 2nd year, but it is much more challenging. The season here in VA starts around Oct. 15, and with the urban archery program, I can hunt until March 15 for does only. The game is closer and the action is more of a rush. I still enjoy gun hunting, but archery is definatley my favorite now.

Mike
Old 12-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am also new to hunting i went rifle hunting for the little over 2 weeks we get
then my parent ask me what i wont for xmas i say a bow for the same reasons you think it is better as do i

my brother asked me why i would wont to spend the money to get a good bow the reflexexcursion is what i am getting when i could spen the same cash and get a great gun i figure with what they spend on the bow and what i have to spend to get everything else sight arrow rest everything it will come out to about 500 by the time i get done or maybe a little less
well sure i can get a gun feel my licesce up and move on but the season here is sept 3 for bow till jan 15 and nov 12 to 28 for gun it is more fun for me to spend theat much time in the wood then the two week with gun season also i can shoot the bow all day everyday and not spend the money that the ammo cost for the rifle
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 PM

a lot less people in the woods screwing up your hunting.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Spike

Im new to this whole bowhunting game, but up here in canada if you want to shoot a monster deer witha rifle you better hope on getting drawn for your zone. With bowhunting you dont need to be drawn, and also you get to get out there before there is 500 other hunters in your area. (alot of people hunt with rifles up here, and not that many hunt with bows). This next season those mule deer should watch out!
Old 12-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why bow hunting is better

bow hunting rocks. i see way more deer. there not spooked and the challenge is more intense than gun. i still gun hunt to but bow is were it's at dude

Quick Reply: Why bowhunting is better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.