Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 killing deer with cars >

killing deer with cars

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

killing deer with cars

Old 12-09-2005, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default killing deer with cars

I was discussing this with BigJ12 in another thread and it got me wondering. Here in Texas, and I think Oklahoma is the same, if you hit a deer with your vehicle you do not get ownership of the animal. I've heard of some wardens letting some people take antlers or even the deer but it is only at the discretion of the warden. A warden explained to me it was illegal because there would be too many people trying to hit deer with their cars. It didn't seem to me there would be that many but he said they still have it happen alot with people in trucks, especially with guards. I was wondering what the law was in other states. I've always assumed it was illegal in all states but apparently not so.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:52 AM

Default RE: killing deer with cars

Here in MI you can take it but it has to have a tag from a police officer or you'll get in hot water.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

It used to be illegal here in PA and I'm not sure how the laws have changed but I believe you can call and a get a permit now as well....perhaps a fellow Pennsylvanian can elaborate.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:51 AM

I know some people here in NY that listen to the scanner and when they here a deer hit by a car and they go to that location and the police will give them a tag to put on the deer to take... or if you see a deer along the road you can call the police and they will give you a tag..."A warden explained to me it was illegal because there would be too many people trying to hit deer with their cars." i dunno about that in NY. around here you could prolly get away with it. i would find it hard to try to prove you were aiming for the deer, unless somebody saw you, but then you could still tell the police i was "swerving to miss" the deer.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:02 AM

I tried that one time in here in Missouri, but it didn't work out like I expected.

I was taking my daughter to school one afternoon for some club thing, and I see a deer on the side of the road. It looked dead, except it also looked asleep. I knew it was fresh because it wasn't there a hour before.

After I dropped off my daughter, I drove back by and saw a conservation agents truck there. I pulled over thinking that if he was going to get rid of it, I'd ask if I could take it if it was in decent shape. I went to the agent and asked if I could have it, and he told me that he had to shoot it because it wasn't dead, but it wasn't going to make it. He then told me that his truck was to full right then to take it away, but he was coming back for it after he unloaded some stuff. I let it drop being that he obviously had plans for the deer. (Benefit of the job I guess.)

It burned my butt though because he never went back for it. I saw that deer every day as it desintegrated on the side of the road. I couldn't even go back and pick it up after he didn't go get it because being that he shot it, I didn't want to have it in the back of my truck (out of season) without some kind of permission

I don't think that it had to do with any specific Missouri law. It was just one ignorant CA who didn't feel like giving me the tag for it.

I dunno….just venting I guess….carry on.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Site Bouncer

Aero,

This is from the Illinois DNR web site.

Illinois Department of Natural Resources

DEER ACCIDENTALLY KILLED/INJURED
BY A MOTOR VEHICLE
WHAT TO DO IF YOU FIND A DEER THAT WAS KILLED/INJURED BY A MOTOR VEHICLE AND YOU WISH TO CLAIM IT.
A whitetail deer that is killed/injured as a result of a collision with a motor vehicle may be legally
possessed by an individual if the following criteria are met:

1. The driver of a motor vehicle involved in a vehicle-deer collision has priority in possessing
said deer. If the driver does not take possession of the deer before leaving the collision scene,
any citizen of Illinois may possess and transport the deer.

2. There is no limit to the number of deer that may be possessed under these circumstances.
3. The person possessing the deer must keep a personal record which provides the date the deer was claimed, the sex of the deer, the location of the kill, and the place where the deer or deer parts are stored. This information must be kept until the deer is consumed or is no longer in the possession of any person. The information must be provided to any law enforcement officer who may be investigating the death and possession of the deer. Note: Effective October 29, 2001, the vehicle-killed deer reporting procedure has been changed. Individuals who claim deer killed by a motor vehicle will no longer be required to make a phone report and obtain a registration number or a tag EXCEPT when the deer is taken to a taxidermist or tanery. If you take the deer to a meat processor or process it yourself, you are not required to report it. If you plan to take the deer to a taxidermist or tanery, please call the Office of Law Enforcement at 217-782-6431 to obtain a tag before delivering the deer to the taxidermist or tanery. The tag cannot be discarded until the deer is at the legal residence of the person who legally claimed the deer.
4. Except for any law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties, it shall be illegal to kill a deer crippled by a collision with a motor vehicle.
5. The inedible parts of vehicle-killed deer cannot be bartered or sold.
6. The State of Illinois is absolved of any and all liability associated with the handling or utilization of vehicle-killed deer. This does not, however, relieve involved parties from reporting other liabilities to appropriate agencies as required.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 AM

I know in Ohio you can keep the deer as long as you report your accident. The sheriff or state patrol has to come out and give you permission to take it though. Ohio has a list for every county for people to claim deer hit by a car. If the driver doesnt want the deer they call people on the list until someone claims it.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are there really people who are stupid enough to try to hit a deer with the car/truck intentionally?

Wouldn't the cost far outweigh the reward?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Fork Horn

In Wisconsin, you have to get a tag from a Warden or Police Officer, before you can remove a road killed deer.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Ont all you have to do is report the deer to theMNR and they'll send you a tag for it for processing ,you can remove it first.As for guy's going and deliberately hitting deer with their vehicle's is almost rediculous ,deer do just way too much damage to your vehicle when hitting them .I don't know how big the deer are that you may be speaking of ,but a guy o spoke to last night at my daughter's hockey game hit one with his van ,the deer survived at least long enough that they weren't able to find her [NOT a BIG DEER]and there was $12.000.00 damage done to his vehicle . Even if my vehicle was a $500.00 dollar speacialI wouldn't want the aggravation to trying to fix it . I'm sure it happen's ,but I think there's alot more smarter people than stupid one's out there .

nubo

Quick Reply: killing deer with cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.