Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice

Old 12-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need advice

Ok OK I know this is the bowhunting forum, but this is where I spend my time and you are the guys I "know" so I'm gonna ask here...ok, now...

My stepson (12 year old)is left handed but by testing him, he is right eye dominant.He shoots a left handed bow pretty well. However I need advice as I get him ready torifle hunt in the coming years. Since he has never shot a rifle, should I try and get him comfortable with a right handed gun, since his right eye is dominant? Or can he overcome this eye dominance to become a better left handed shot?

He was never exposed to this hunting/shooting stuff as a youngster so it seems to be taking longer to bring him up to speed. He does shoot a shotgun left handed. (not very well I might add). But we are working on it.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need advice

It's easier to train the non-dominant hand to draw the string or manipulate thebolt/safety/slide/triggerthan it is to train the off eye to aim where thedominant eye is looking.

It feels darned unpleasant, awkward and clumsy at first, making the 'wrong' hand do the work but, if he'll just gut it out and stick with it,that feeling goes away. Sometimes it takes several days to a week or two, but it'll go away.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need advice

I agree with ArthurP and a good shooting coach would get your son to shoot with his dominant eye both with guns and his bow regardless of dominant handed....