Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 YALL WON'T BELIEVE THIS >

YALL WON'T BELIEVE THIS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

YALL WON'T BELIEVE THIS

Old 12-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default YALL WON'T BELIEVE THIS

Iwas listening to the radio this moring and it said that I father took his 6 year old hog hunting with him. They got pretty close to one and the father fired his rifle. The bullet ricochet off the hog and hit the girl in the chest and killed her. Have any of yall heard about this?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM

Default RE: YALL WON'T BELIEVE THIS

Nope...what paper? I'll check online.Sad hunting news again.
Hope it was a accident and not foul play.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

IDK, as soon as i turned on the radio thats what i heard, it didn't say where it happened at.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:48 PM

I did a quick search and this is what I found. Its a real Tragedy.

GROESBECK, Texas -- A 6-year-old girl has died following a hunting accident in which her grandfather shot at some hogs and the bullet ricocheted off the hood of his Jeep, striking the girl, police say.

Ryleigh Shelton was riding with her grandfather, 57-year-old Gary Shelton, on his property just outside Groesbeck when he stopped to shoot feral hogs Sunday morning, said Limestone County Sheriff Dennis Wilson.

"He tried to use the hood of his Jeep for a brace, but he got his gun barrel too low and the bullet just ricocheted off the hood," Wilson said Monday. "It's just a freak, freak deal. I've seen a lot of vehicles shot up before, but I've never seen one ricochet in that manner and go all the way back into the vehicle like that one, and it then struck that little girl."

The girl died later that day.

Wilson said preliminary evidence indicated the bullet may have broken apart and the child was struck in the chest by a fragment. Calling the shooting a "tragic accident," he said he did not anticipate filing charges against Shelton.

Ryleigh and her parents were visiting for the weekend from their home in Clear Lake, near Houston.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Thats terrible news. I had not heard about it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Something is seriously not right here. I'm no ballistics expert but I just absolutely cannot see how even the hollowest of hollow points can fragment and do a complete 180 in a few feet's distance. No chunk of metal traveling at thousands of fps cando that.Where was the girl? Behind grampa or a little bit downrange? Downrange is the only thing that can explain this. And if so, grampa wasn't putting safety first.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

[:@]Nothing pisses me off more!!! This was senseless!!!

I'll say a prayer for the family and hopefully we'll all take a moment to think about safety before doing something stupid.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:51 PM

Not a problem at all for a bullet to do a complete 180.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

[&o]
Old 12-06-2005, 09:03 PM

That's just HORRIBLE...awful...NO ONE is more upset about this than the poor grandfather...pray for 'em all.

Quick Reply: YALL WON'T BELIEVE THIS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.