Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadheads for turkeys? >

Broadheads for turkeys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads for turkeys?

Old 12-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadheads for turkeys?

I use Thunderhead 100's for deer and they are deadly. My question
is what is should I try a mechanical for turkeys or is the Thunderhead
100's just as deadly on turkeys as they are for deer?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Default RE: Broadheads for turkeys?

You put a sharp fixed/expandable BH through the wheelhouse
of a gobbler and it'll expire. Try these to take the heads off....
http://www.bowhunting.net/shows/NWTF/2004/FBS-GobblerGuillotine.html
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Just get the G5 small game heads. They pack enough KE to knock the birds down....which is what you prefer over a pass-through.

JEff
Old 12-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

the gobble guotine supposedly works pretty well but i don't know from experience. i do know you have to be one heck of a shot to use them. if i were to use my bow i would either use a string tracker or pin him to the ground. turkeys are notorious for getting away on a marginal shot and not being found.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:17 PM

Haven't used a gobbler guillotine yet, but I use a couple of broadheads and mechanical. I am using the new A.B.C. Liberty Broadheads and am using the mechanical Hypershock broadheads. I have used in the past Steelheads, Vortex, and Gold Tips, but I fell in love with the Liberty's and the Hypershocks......
Old 12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I kill them with regular broadheads all the time. G5 montecs and thunderheads 100 grain. All shots have been pass thrus and all game retrived. I did have to go hand to hand combat with one big Tom this year but that's a whole other story.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Not picking nits, here......but I'm wondering how many people who kill turkeys with their bows are actually TURKEY hunting. It's one thing to kill them while you're in the deer stand.....in the Fall/Winter......and it's another to take a mature Gobbler in the Spring.

With that being said......if you were going out with the specific intent on killing ONLY turkeys....which tip/point would you wnat on the business end of your arrow?

I think any turkey with the bow is a prize. Granted. I also have a special admiration for those who take turkeys.....who are actually TURKEY hunting. I've seen fox from the tree stand, too.....and I know guys who have shot bobcats/raccoons/coyote with their bows. I don't know ONE of them who was actually hunting that quarry, though.

If I'm going turkey hunting.......I want something with some knock-down power...in lieu of something that's gonna pass thorugh the bird.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was Turkey hunting this past fall and I got a pass thru on a hen! I was using Muzzy's 100gr at the time. Worked well!

Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 AM

To SBGOBBLERS, when I shoot a turkey with my bow, it is with full intent. I do not use a tree stand or the like when hunting something else and then decide to take a turkey. In the fall, I stalk them throughout my property with minimal use of a box cutter. In spring, I get the decoy out and my two calls, a box cutter and a slate call ( both primos). There is no doubt in my mind, philosophy, and actions that I am forward in taking a turkey when I am turkey hunting. When I go varmint hunting, or coyote hunting, boar hunting, I am hunting for that particular specimen. Out of all the turkey hunting I have done, I prefer the bow. Hoyt is my choice, not that there are other great bows out there, but that is my preference. I shoot either my MagnaTec or UltraTec for turkey pursuits. When the funds come around, I am purchasing a Hoyt Trykon Xl, and with the intent to hunt turkeys only when I am turkey hunting. And for broadheads, like I said before, Liberty, Hypershock, and Gold Tip. Never had a problem yet for knockdown or sticking.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Coyotestalker:

Good to hear (and not that my opinion matters...). I'm simply amazed when I hear of all the people that have taken turkeys with their bow (As well as coyotes/bobcats/fox/etc...). I ALWAYS wonder if that was the quarry they were hunting.

I don't mean to imply that the animals were taken unfairly.......it's just this....

The American wild turkey is an AWESOME adversary. People here would frown at them being taken from a tree stand.....although it's legal. SOME people here, me included, wished that there was no Fall/Winter season on them. The way they flock, here, it diminishes the accomplishment of taking them (in my opinion). Also...it's legal to bait DEER in NC.....and I'm wondering how many are taken over previously baited fields (Again....which would be NO violation...if it were eaten/removed 10 days prior to the kill).

Just MY opinions. I just have HIGH regards for these birds.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Broadheads for turkeys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.