Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 finally, Finally, FINALLY!!!!!!! >

finally, Finally, FINALLY!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

finally, Finally, FINALLY!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default finally, Finally, FINALLY!!!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen...I FINALLY GOT A DEER!!!
I SWORE to myself that after YEARS of half-hearted deer hunting, I was NOT going to come back to bowhunting.com until I either @#$! or got off the pot!
It's been a while, but here's my take on it....first of all, the new site is CONFUSING (beenawaysince June or July). Anyway, I finally found my way back to the forum. Secondly, and more importantly, I FINALLY GOT A DEER!!!
Please...understand...I went on my first deer hunting trip when I was 12. Yea, I took a few years off (16-27), but started back again a number of years ago (I'm 35 now), and hunted almost exclusively w/a bow (yea, I've got a bunch of guns...but what fun are they?). Just never had access to any land that was close enough for me to work!

I FINALLY moved out to the country, and found a farmer who LOVED the idea of me taking deer off of his land (3 miles away). I spend most of the season working on the land....finding tracks, trails, sign, hanging stands, moving stands, etc. I FINALLY figured it out. I moved my primary stand yesterday - duringat the beginning of therut and JUST in front of, well, a FRONT (cold front bringing rain/sleet/snow). Seemed to be the right thing to do. Of course, I made more noise than a busted chain saw....but after 90 minutes of moving stands, cutting lanes, etc, etc,...I was hot, sweaty, ticked-off....but settled.

30-45 minutes later, I switched to a blunt tip (used to NOT seeing deer....probably because I ama HUGE TYPE A....and simply CANNOT sit still), and was drawing on a squirrel at 40 yards (shot several of them at that range....LOVE MY SWITCHBACK!). I caught the buck out of the corner of my eye. He was making a bee line to my Tinks 69. I VERY SLOWLY swapped arrows (the blunt for the Magnus Stinger). Fortunately I was already standing. Also, very fortunately...I was 30 FEET UP in the air!!!!!! That helped, I suppose!!

Anyway, I don't remembermuch after I drew and thought the pins were a bit blurry (I suspect thats because MY HEART WAS POUNDING!!), The buck was somewhere in the area of 20 yards away (turns out, he was 17 yards away). My steep angle made things a bit squirrly for me, also. I put the 20 yard pin on his lungs and squeezed the trigger. My shot was about as high as it could be and still work. I caught the bottom of his spine, and the back-side lung.

He dropped like a bad habit on New Years Day! He sprayed blood like crazy, drug himself about 20 yards to a creekbed andexpired.

I thought he was an 8 pointer, but he turned out to be missing an eye guard on one side....so a 7-pointer he was.

165-170 lbs....pretty good for North Carolina!!

A few things I now know:

Scent Lok is great, but the wind is the most important.
Summit Viper Stands are the best/most solid/most comfortable/quietest stands there are.
The rut is a CRAZY time of the season.
Higher is better...at least from a scent/movement standpoint.
Mathews (Switchback) is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So are Easton Axis ST 300 arrows, NAP Quick Spin vanes, and Magnus Stinger broadheads! Not sure what I think about the QAD Ultra Rest, yet.

That's about all I know....

That, of course, and the fact that I FINALLY GOT A DEER!!!
Not just a deer, but a BUCK! Not just a buck, but a GOOD BUCK! Not just a good buck, but a GOOD BUCK with a BOW!!!! I hear any deer with a bow is a trophy......

I know this 'ol boy is a tropy for sure!!!

Thanks for listening!!

TarheelHunter
Mathews Switchback (70 lbs)
Copper John Pro Sight
Easton Axis ST 300 shafts
NAP Quick Spin Vanes
Magnus Stinger broadheads (100's)
QAD Ultra Rest
Scott Mongoose Release
Scent Lok EVERYTHING
Summit Viper X5 stand
Tinks 69 scent
Bacon wrapped backstrap - supper tonight!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:48 PM

Default RE: finally, Finally, FINALLY!!!!!!!

Nice buck and cool story Congrats!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks! Natural Bridge VA...that's not very far from me!I wish I could bowhunt in that drive-through safari!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Congrads Tar Heel. I never got the report from your hog hunt. You should have never waited so long to drop a deer. PM next year and we can go hunting. There are plenty of deer heer in NC.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Really nice buck. congrats!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Fieldmouse! The Hog Hunt was good...but had to have someone else post the pics....('cause I'm technically illiterate!).

I think I can post them now, though (Well...I tried again, and it keeps saying File too large....it's just a picture, not sure why its too large! Anyway, I'll post it separately.)

Not sure how to "PM"......but would love to connect and shoot something!

Thanks again!!!

Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM

Congrats on a good buck.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Tarheel_Hunter

Thanks! Natural Bridge VA...that's not very far from me!I wish I could bowhunt in that drive-through safari!
I've been thru there a couple times and I think a zebra would look nice on my wall.

Im assuming you've been there. How many animals stuck their heads inside your vehicle looking for food? Those damn emus are scary[]
Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 AM

Tar Heel, CONGRATS!!---Where were u hunting at in NC?? Im up outside of Boone.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Good job Tarheel! Congrat's.

Quick Reply: finally, Finally, FINALLY!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.