Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Accuracy standard before taking to the woods? >

Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

I'm new to bowhunting and I just want to know what is YOUR standard before you take to the woods in the hopes of scoring a kill? I've only been practicing a few days now and now I'm wondering just exactly I should be trying to accomplish as far as accuracy is concerned. At 12 yards, inside the house at ground level, I can move my hits to all 5 dots on the block target at will. I havn't tried any 20,30 or 40 yard shots yet, but I'm just wondering what type of accuracy I should be striving for. It wouldn't be fair to the deer if I didn't make a killing shot and I'd be pissed if I missed as well. Your thoughts please.........
Old 12-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

I would say 20 yds a 3 inch group would be pretty good. Sounds like you could probably handel that. Put the target outside and give it a try.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:51 PM

Well....for me it's the ability to put 3 arrows in a group
of no more than 6" at 45 yards. Of course this is in the vital area,
not the gut! For me aiming low cuz it's usually farther than I guess.
Some guys can nail tacks and ruin arrows/nocks, but I just dont get
out to the range enough. I'm going to make it a point to shoot more this next year and
get that group tighter.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keeping all your shots in a 4" circle at your maximum distance under simulated hunting conditions. (hunting clothes, with broadheads and in the positions you will shoot from) Even though I practice out to 50 yds I won't shoot past 30.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Spike

It just depends on you. I went out many times w/ my bow just to geta feel for the tree stand and the environment. I also practiced shooting from my stand at a 3-D target. I think it helped me alot. Your confidence is the most important thing. When you feel confident, go for it. Bowhunting is going to change your life forever.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

The reason I wanted to get into bowhunting in the first place was because of the longer season, buck or doe is legal and the weather is more comfortable so I don't have to worry about freezing my hands and feet in the stand. I will admit that I should have done this a long time ago, but then again I should have moved out of CA a long time ago also. The only thing that concerns me is that deer shot with an arrow always run a distance before they drop. That is why I'm so concerned with the accuracy thing. I don't want them running THAT far. I want that broadhead to cut both lungs up.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 PM

Personally, I want all my arrows in a 3" group at 30 yards. That's my max shooting range. I practice farther, but this is the standard I hold to.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 PM

I started bowhunting when I was about 13. My dad told me I wasnt allowed to actually hunt until I could put all 6 practice arrows in a 3 inch group from 10, 20, and 30 yards. Needless to say after some time I needed new nocks every other week. I was determined to go hunting with a bow.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:19 PM

I'd have to agree with some of the others on this forum. I wouldn't go out until you are confident in your shots. This is only my second year of bow hunting. I practiced for about 3-4 months before I went out my first year. I agree with needing to have a min. of 3" groupings at 20-30 yards, perferably further. After practicing a lot both from the ground and from a tree stand, I can group my shots at 20 yards in the size of about a half dollar piece and not much different at 30 yards. At 45 yards they are all within about a 4-5" circle (all in the kill zone), but I probably wouldn't take a shot at 45 yards unless all the conditions were just perfect and I was sure of the distance and everything. I like to get them in 30 yards or closer. I've only killed one deer so far with a bow and he was about 20 yard mark. He only ran 30 yards from the place I shot him and I watched him go down. There's nothing like bow hunting and it's a great feeling to get your first deer with a bow. Good luck and practice, practice, practice!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:36 PM

I don't like to shoot at the same bullseye because I've destroyed several arrows like that. So, I make sure I can hit 3" circles / squares consistently out to about 35 yds. At 40 yds I shoot at a deer sized paper target with styrofoam backing and ensure I can consistently hit vitals.

Quick Reply: Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.