HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Never fear, 2nddary rut is near! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/123600-never-fear-2nddary-rut-near.html)

Cougar Mag 12-03-2005 09:25 PM

Never fear, 2nddary rut is near!

At least for some of us in the midwestern states. Our 3 day muzzleloader season appears soon, and around that time I start noticing more bucks looking for does again and doing more traveling. Its a good time to be out and about finding places you might not have hunted earlier, many times the deer are freqenting areas they seldom did earlier, and generally there are less bowhunters out because they either tagged out, are burnt out, or just plain don't like the cold weather. Sometimes my areas become even better simply because they are back after playing pinball with the firearm hunters in other areas. The last 2 weeks of December can be some of the best bowhunting around and I will be out there. I just have to do some more homework is all. Good luck to all who are out in the late season!

mobow 12-04-2005 11:04 AM

RE: Never fear, 2nddary rut is near!

I hope the 2nd rut is better than the 1st. In fact.....the main rut was barely even noticeable. You couldn't prove by me it's even hit yet.......

alwyshntn 12-04-2005 11:11 AM

I'm with you Cougar I love late season hunting....I have gone about 6 times bowhunting since the close of our firearms season and have seen alot of deer....Just no shooter bucks yet....Hopefully they start showing up again....It seems like the woods are alot more relaxed and I don't see near the vehicles parked along the roads hunting even though our muzzleloader season is going on....Good Luck to everyone toughen it out...

hoytvtec 12-04-2005 12:37 PM

I'm Starting to think all the deer in SW Missouri are Gone, We have hunting Rights on a combined 500 acres and haven't seen but one 6 point all season at 1,000 yards on somebody else's property. I've tried morning evening and setting all day. Maybe Wednesday after the first snow it will change.

Hunter06FlKy 12-04-2005 02:01 PM

i may be going to ky for the late muzzleloader. if your right it should be good hunting. i couldn't even notice the rut there this year when i was there. it was terrible.

OlMossyHorns 12-04-2005 03:32 PM

I didn't get to hunt this archery season at all this year because of my first college baseball season. I'm hoping the second rut will be good for me over christmas break so I can get a buck like I normally do lol

smokyghost 12-04-2005 03:38 PM

yeah im interested on how its gonna go myself. If I see as much activity as I did in the pre rut stage Ill be happy. Ive killed 5 this yr. and if I harvest any others its gonna have to be a deer worth harvesting. good luck to you also

MO_Bowhnter 12-04-2005 04:26 PM

Day before thanksgiving, I saw a small buck chasing around a doe for about 30 minutes. That's it for rutting activity I've seen. Hopefully december proves to be a good month because so far my season hasn't gone to well.

Cougar Mag 12-04-2005 04:41 PM

MO Bowhnter, the rut didn't treat me well in my hunting areas either, but I attribute some of that to all the crops being harvested much earlier than normal where I hunt and many of the deer moved on to greener pastures. I've noticed during the last few seasons, especially after our muzzleloader season is over, bucks moving more again and as the end of December nears....a big buck or two with the does. Tough thing about hunting late December/early January is that the does seemed to be protecting the big bucks..with the big boys always trailing the does when entering a woods or traveling a field edge. Being in the right area but the wrong spot with all those noses cost me a shot at a whopper buck 3 years ago after Xmas.

SuperRedHawk 12-04-2005 06:09 PM

Hmmm, so it was'nt just me or my area either? I was seeing tons of deer before the rut, but when it came, it was lame. Seems ALL the deer were nocturnal! Could see them coming out after hours everywhere, while cursing at them with every word in the book. I can't believe the season will be over soon. I got some meat for the freezer, but nothing for the wall:(. Still fun though, and learned a few things [&:]