Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ANother falls to his death... >

ANother falls to his death...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANother falls to his death...

Old 12-02-2005, 05:48 PM

Default RE: ANother falls to his death...

I'm trying to visualize how you hang yourself with your harness...are there any more details?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get it either... I can't see how he hung himself, unless he had his tether wrapped around his neck?? Either way it's a sad situation...
Old 12-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Usually deaths from safety belts are from wearing them incorrectly. I'll still take my chances with the belt on....
Old 12-03-2005, 09:22 AM

My guess is that he was trying to extract himself from his harness while hanging in the air, and when he released the buckles on his legs he slid through the harness getting caught around his neck. I am only guessing though. This is why I always carry a screw in tree step in my pocket where I can easily get hold of it. Screw the step in and get the weight off of your legs.

What a shame. Folks, be careful out there.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:32 AM

I have started using a a cable slide while going up and down in my stands.I just started using a heavier rope to take my bow up and down with.You can slide it up as you go and have to hit a button to make it come down.This is the safest way I have found and it also lets you be connected from before you leave the ground until you have finished and climbed backk down.I also use a tether that is longer and allows for more movement.But if I take a fall it will oput me below my stand.There is also a safety release so that if you are falling too hard it gives you a extra 3 feet of line and makes the sudden stop a lot less painful and just all around more safe.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

sorry to hear about those fellas, But you never know. got to be on your toes at all times. I just bought me a harness on ebayafter reading all these horror stories, I usually dont wear one but thinkI will now.