Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2002, 07:44 PM

Default RE: What you do with your deer?

NBK, I've played it both ways over the years, I used to have a grinder and would process it myself, and a few years ago I got lazy and started having my deer processed...Prices here in Texas are through the roof..Last year I spent close to 600 dollars on processing, rediculous isn't it. This year I bought one of those VACUUM SEALERS and I'm going back to doing it myself.

1 deer, cut and wrap, no sausage or anything special will run 50 to 60 dollars if your lucky, sometimes a little more. What really runs up the cost is having sausage and stuff made...I guess the butchers have to make a living too..Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-10-2002, 07:50 PM

Thats just rediculous. I use to pay 25$ for an excellent job. Now I do it myself for free.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:54 PM

Let's see:

- cling wrap $1?
- freezer wrap $2
- masking tape .50 cents?

= $3.50
Old 10-10-2002, 07:56 PM

50 to 60 dollars is about what it cost's in my area also. I too butcher myself though I tenderize all my steaks and can do what I want how I want with my meat. Also I know how the meat was handled. I have a small 1 hp. meat cutting bandsaw w/ grinder my uncle has a 1 1/2 hp. grinder meat slicer big smoke house vacum sealer tenderizer and all the equipment to wrap and freeze the meat so our operation is pretty good for the average person.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:01 PM

Learn to do it yourself,you won't be sorry.Just buy some freezer paper or freezer bags bring your deer in a quarter at a time,you will have it done in no time.I cut mine up on the kichen table but if I had a garage I would do it there.I've got a large cutting board and some long sharp knives.I've been doing it for years and get better all the time.Plus you can sell the hide for about 15 bucks.

GUNS AND KNOWLEDGE ARE THE BEST PROTECTION AGAINST TERRORISM
Old 10-10-2002, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I paid $4.82 for Reynolds Freezer Wrap, $2.84 for cling wrap, and $1.16 Freezer Tape. I have always butchered my own animals and I grind my own venison, make my own sausage and smoke it.

I've never been sorry . . . it sure is cheaper.

Bowhunter
Old 10-10-2002, 08:44 PM

I do my own but a friend just took one in 75.00 to cut the back straps into steaks rost and grind the rest up. 3.25 per lbs. for smoked sausage and 3.75 per lbs. for jerky. 5 or 6 dollars sounds better to me papper tape and a marker.
Mike
Old 10-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pay $65-$85 for a standard cut w/burger-cut,wrapped and frozen.Last year I butchered my own-alot easier than I thought so I'll probably start doing my own.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:45 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

If I dropped that kind of coin to get the meat processed, I think I would lose the wife's support for this "obsession". She had Venison this week for the first time, and she had seconds, so I think I might be safe with it. It really isn't too much trouble, and Sam's club has a stainless steel table for about $100. I might treat myself to that, and with the sink in the garage, I can probly set up a pretty efficient operation.

David

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.