Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-11-2002, 11:08 AM

Default RE: What you do with your deer?

The guy I use near my home costs $42 canadian to process a deer, no bone, cut, wrapped and frozen, this includes burger.

Sausage from another place costs us $1.75 a pound to grind, mix, stuff and smoke it, this price includes the pork. We process our own deer when we are having sausage made. It only takes a couple hours to chunk one for sausages.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:36 AM

A local guy here charges 70 bucks, processes it on the spot while you watch and does it any way you want it,even all boneless. It takes him about 30 minutes from start to finish double wrapped in paper. Any more I just process my own and save the money.Only problem is it takes me about 2 hours verses his 1/2.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:17 PM

A local butcher changes $55 no matter the size. Includes skinning, grinding, and packaging (even the ribs, liver and heart too). I value my own time and would often be unable to find 3-4 hours the day or two after a kill to do my own processing. Not to mention that my bad back wouldn't like it either.

Don't get me wrong. I totally understand the value of accomplishing the task on your own and for some its just a big party among friends. I used to live and hunt in Alaska and have great memories of processing moose and caribou in our garage.

However to those who listed the cost of their supplies ONLY, the equation should read: Supplies + labor/time = cost. For me, $55 for someone else to do it is well under my labor cost.

$120 does seem high for a deer to be processed.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres a place a few miles from my home that does the burger and sausage for $1.00 per pound if you de-bone the deer yourself. they do a great job with the spices and such so I go for it and my wife likes it better than she does mine and I do anything to please the woman of the house, especially when it comes to hunting.

Old 10-11-2002, 02:42 PM

45 - 55 here in No. KY
Old 10-11-2002, 02:48 PM

I cut my own.

My family has been doing it since they crossed the big pond from the East in the 1800's and this won't be changing during this generation!

Aim small miss small