HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Landowner has gone CRAZY! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/123274-landowner-has-gone-crazy.html)

okie_legrant 12-01-2005 01:23 PM

Landowner has gone CRAZY!

I lease a real sweet piece of land from a very nice but crazy old man. I have had the property for 3 yrs now and he has just gotten wierder every year. He has no cattle on it until after deer season(which is nice). But he comes out everyday and just drives around, and it doesn't matter if there are trees in the way he has just cut them down to make a route for his truck. I have just realised that his route goes past every stand I have up. What he is looking for I don't know, but it really ruins my hunt when I hear him coming. He also has a fear of someone else hunting this place. If you wanted to hunt it you would have to walk over a mile. But he has put up a trail cam at the gate to see who is coming and going, and has changed the locks to the gates( 3 gates just to get to it) 4 times already this yr. He sends them to me in the mail. Anyone else have a crazy landowner that does weirder stuff than this?

MNpurple 12-01-2005 01:47 PM

RE: Landowner has gone CRAZY!

Thats kinda crazy yes, makes a path as he goes.

One time a landowner came walking past me while I was in a ground blind and saw me and I asked her whats up. She said "I am looking for the fence that isnt, have you seen it" Apparently she is looking for this fence that she remembers as a child and she thinks she is being cheated out of 10 feet of property because someone took it. Since then I have seen her quite a few times looking for "the fence that isnt." She also booted some people off her property who had hunted there many years because they gave her walleye as a thank you. She doesnt like fish so that was the end of their hunting. Note to self.....

MOTOWNHONKEY 12-01-2005 01:57 PM

I had my turkey decoys out and my land owner came over on his little john deer golf cart thingy and ran the damn things over. He thought they were real and was trying to get him a snack. I asked him if he wanted me to gut one for him and we both busted out laughing. He never seen me up aganist the tree until I said something. It was very comical to watch for sure.

turtleshell 12-01-2005 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I had my turkey decoys out and my land owner came over on his little john deer golf cart thingy and ran the damn things over. He thought they were real and was trying to get him a snack. I asked him if he wanted me to gut one for him and we both busted out laughing. He never seen me up aganist the tree until I said something. It was very comical to watch for sure.
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

nubo 12-01-2005 03:52 PM

Running your decoy's over ,that's a good one LMAO

nubo

Leverdude 12-01-2005 05:09 PM

That decoy story was a hoot. :D
I'v got a spot I sit in late season. Its only about 2 acres of woods & I can see the owners house from my blind but alot of deer go thru & hang out back there. I think he thinks I'm crazy as I mostly go there when the weather stinks. I was out there last winter bout a week or 2 after christmas & I was watching a fat doe & a couple fawns out 45 or 50 yards feeding towards me real slow. It was snowing to beat the band & they were taking their sweet time. I spotted them about an hour before & was kinda enjoying the setting. Well I heard his door slam & looked over to see him dragging his xmas tree into the woods. The deer were watching him too & I welcomed the activity because almost anyway the deer went but straight away would bring them close enough I might get a shot. A few minutes went by & I didn't hear the door again so I took another peek & found him looking from my tree stand (right over the deer [:'(]) to my blind trying to find me. :eek: Well after a few minutes I thought he would leave but instead he starts coming closer never seeing the deer. When he was maybe 10 yards away he starts into talking at me so I leaned out the window to point out the deer & shush him if possible but when he saw me he lets out a loud laugh & says I'm nuts there aint no deer out in this mess only me, so I pointed to the 3 white flags bouncing away in the corner. :D
Turns out the guy actually thought they lived in caves & stayed inside during bad weather. :eek::D I couldnt get mad at him as he's a family friend & sure wouldn't do it on purpose. Besides it was worth it for the look on his face when he saw he was within 35 or 40 yards of 3 deer without even knowing.

fshafly2 12-02-2005 04:53 AM

About 20 years ago, a landowner had allowed me and another guy to bowhunt on herfarm for several years.She was getting on in age (mid-80's) andshe turned over the farm management toone of hergrandsons who lived with her. Well, after I told the grandson that I had confronted two different sets of trespassers in the woods, he told me that there would not allow anymore hunting on the farm! I tried to reason with him to no avail. Hisrationale didn't make any sense, but it didn't have to. I had known the family for about7 years, did chores for them in the off season, and even helpedby tutoring the guy's brother though a college math class. The grandson (~early 30's at the time)was not opposed to hunting. This guywas grossly obese andcould not walk in the woods if he wanted to.Anyway, he died about5 years ago (no surprise). Ihave thought about knocking on the door again, but I have enough properties, and it still brings up a sour memory.
-fsh

Steve F.in MD 12-02-2005 06:04 AM

I once had a landowner call the GW on me just six days after he gave me permission to hunt. Turned out he was senile. After interviewing both me and the landowner for a while the GW figured out the situation and did not cite me. One of the best pieces of ground I ever got permission to hunt on but I was afraid to go back. The next GW might not be so understanding.

hoytvtec 12-02-2005 07:05 AM

One landowner called me and ask if a certian treestand was mine when i told him no he cut down the tree. Next trip there it was tree and stand laying on the ground. I guess the owner of the stand will get the picture when he get's ready to hunt again.

Flipout 12-02-2005 09:26 AM

I used to hunt this one farm. Hunted it for at least 5 years. And one day I come out to my truck after the hunt and I have a tresspassing ticket on my windshield.

I drive over to the barn where the farmer is and say "hey whats the deal?" He proceeds to tell me that he had a dream that accidentally shot someone while on his nuisance permit and he's scared he's gonna shoot me so he called his son in law who is a cop to give me a ticket. I'm like "huh?, if you dont want me to hunt here anymore just tell me, dont give me trespassing tickets. He says, "no, you can still hunt, I just had a bad dream!"

I called the town about the ticket and it was never filed officially so no harm no foul, but still nuts. He was more of a drunk than crazy anyway.

That's my crazy land owner story.