Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why can't people keep their mouth shut? >

Why can't people keep their mouth shut?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why can't people keep their mouth shut?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why can't people keep their mouth shut?

I am not much on lieing. although I amnot saying is is a bad deal for someone elsewhen it comes to deer hunting. If some one asks which happens a lot... I just turn it around and start asking them questions on what they are seeing. It is surprising how much they will tell you. Course some of them are trying to lead you a stray. One guy is really bad at it. He isn't very good at lieing. If I know he is on a good buck and trying to keep it a secret... I always make sure to tell him I am thinking about hunting that spot. You can see the panic inhis eyes. Then he fesses up!!

There is only a few I trust. I knowthat theywon'tmove in on me. I am pretty open with them. We help keep an eye out for bucks on each other hunting spots when scouting. That is pretty nice.

Tim

Old 12-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

J I know the feeling, have had similar experiences recently. I have permission to hunt the 150 acres behind my house, which holds great deer for indiana,but it seems like every week someone is wanting me to take them with me, because they've heard of the 14 non typical that has 20 lives,and escapes wall mount duty year after year,or because of the story thatIchoked on a huge deer during bow season. Then there is one guy that I hardly know parking in my drive and hunting, like it was no big deal. If people would just be courtious, it might be the last day of shotgun season so idiots will try anything to get a deer, don't mind the fact that I will be back in the woods in a week during muzzy season, so go ahead a blaze the whole woods up with 10 other people and spook everything that has a heartbeat. I never see anyting when I hunt,noteven a fresh terd,it's like the deer went on vacation.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

When people ask me where I got my deer I tell them. I live in MI so I hold my hand up and make a big circle around my whole hand. Tell them somewhere around here, they get the point. My favorite reponse is "well I do not want to hunt there". Then I reply "Why are you asking?" They huff off all pissed off!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

J -

Oh the joys of rifle season in Southwestern PA. Those people have turned me against rifle hunting altogether. What a circus. Most of them have no regard for anything - they just wanna drive deer, shoot like maniacs, tell wild tales of big bucks yore, and litter up the place. They don't practice, they don't scout, they're lazy and they can't seem to follow the rules.

My best advice to you, next year,is to tag out in bow season, and just kick back and unwind while everyone else tries to battle the orange army in buck season. This season, just wait until the second week - they will all have given up by then. You'll have the woods to yourself, but the deer will still be very skittish.
-------------------------

For those of you who have never experienced it - PA has the highest hunter density in the country. Most of them only hunt one/two days per year, but on opening day, look out. It's not uncommon to have 3-4 hunters in view from your spot on the opener, and most of them shoot at anything they see. It's quite an experience - sorta like the streets of Baghdad.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

My reply is always the same.

I hunt up in Hidden Pass or down by Secrey Creek. They usually get the hint. Even when I take a nice deer, I am very vague about where. I usually just tell them the county or city. Don't ruin your Hidy Holes!

Mike
Old 12-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

WHere did I shoot it? In the woods,on the mountain,behind the shoulder."I shot it up on the mountain" usually suffices,very often they think they know which mountain you are talking about.Which of course they don't.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

"no-tellum creek" works everytime...slurrrr the notellum together real fast...

I usually get a quick look of confusion ....a few are bright enough to catch on and some even say..oh yeah that place has some huge bucks! LMAO
Old 12-02-2005, 01:03 PM

I lost a hunting property because the guy who got me permission to hunt there asked me what I had been seeing.I told him I am after a monster there and the next day there are notes on all my stands that I have to take them off of the property.I was told later that it was him who done thaqt so he could shoot the big one.Well he didnt get it either a out of stater did on the next property.Made me feel good.I also put notes up on his stands on another property that I run saying he didnt have permission to hunt there anymore.He got the drift....................
Old 12-02-2005, 01:43 PM

Last year I bought to trail cams and they suck.I have to bite my tounge all the time even around family.My dad and brother can't be trusted with info like that.lol Once the cat is let out of the bag the army will show up and thats never a good thing.If guys had any idea how many deer they already chased out of thier area they might hunt a little smarter.IMO
Old 12-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two buddys and I were hunting West River, SD for mule deer/whitetails (bow and rifle) and we came across a few guys. They ask - you guys seeing anything and before I can answer one of my buddies chimes in, oh ya over here and there and over there and right there, when the other guys weren't looked I smacked him in the back of his head. We get in the pickup and he is like what was that for, those were niec guys.....I'm like we are hunting public ground, and we really don't need any more compeition than we already have. Needless to say I am not hunting opening weekend on public ground again. Come opening morning there were guys everywhere, not my style of hunting. I walked back to the pickup a mile and called it quits for the whole weekend.