HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   rangefinder vs. steping off yardage? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/12295-rangefinder-vs-steping-off-yardage.html)

JWhite 10-10-2002 12:25 PM

rangefinder vs. steping off yardage?

I am not bad at guessing distance but want to make THE BEST SHOT POSSIBLE.

I have been stepping off my yardage but this spreads scent around. Is it too much with just rubber boots?

If a RF works better then...do the Ranging mirror rangefinders work or do I need to suck it up and spend the cash for a laser RF?

thanks...JWhite

FLHunter 10-10-2002 01:00 PM

RE: rangefinder vs. steping off yardage?

I have both types of rangefinders and have basically retired the Ranging split image type for my use. The laser is far superior and very accurate. I taped out my field archery range to 80yds and the laser was right on at each yardage to the extent that if I would lean back and forth while standing over a yardage distance the yardage would change within inches of movement. The split image type is harder to use and is not nearly as accurate, I lend mine out to hunting guests who do not have a rangefinder.

Aim Hard!

Deleted User 10-10-2002 01:08 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

fletchdp 10-10-2002 09:11 PM

I, too, retired my split image. Those lazers are unreal, they are definitly here to stay..get one ASAP...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch

skeeter 7MM 10-10-2002 10:22 PM

Yeah I bit the bullet this year and man...I thought I was pretty good at distances and stepped out yards in stands. Well in all cases my range finder proved me wrong. I say buy yourself a laser RF and you won't be sorry.

royak 10-11-2002 05:18 AM

Yep they are worth the money I love mine.....

smokpole 10-11-2002 07:23 AM

I guess I'm a bit ol' fashioned since I don't use a Rangefinder, but I have a question. Do you use them to pick out objects around you and check the range or do you actually use them on the deer when you see them to check yardage?

BobCo19-65 10-11-2002 07:33 AM

I use a split image type rangefinder. For what I use it for it works very well. It is only good out to 40 yards and that's perfect. I paid about $25 for it at Bass Pro on sale. I can't see spending a lot of money on a laser since the only thing I use it for is archery. Now is I was gun hunting and wanted to range at 300 yards, that a different story.

fletchdp 10-11-2002 06:34 PM

Smokepole, I think 90% of the time they are used to check yardages ahead of time but I have had a few oporatunities to actually shoot deer with it. I have a lot of fun with mine other than on the stand... They are cool...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch

Two Beards 10-11-2002 07:02 PM

JWhite,
Buy yourself a laser rangefinder, you won't regret it.:)