Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Treestand Safety, When should you upgrade? >

Treestand Safety, When should you upgrade?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand Safety, When should you upgrade?

Old 10-10-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Treestand Safety, When should you upgrade?

I"m an avid bowhunter and love treestand hunting. I have a summit treestand from 1994, it's still in good condition and I used it to kill my first deer of the season the other night! My question is that all my buddies say that I should get something more modern? Is there a time limit on treestands? I figure as long as I keep the rust off and continue looking for cracks that I should be ok? Thanks for anyones feedback!

Air Master

Sean P. McNierney
Berea, KY
Old 10-10-2002, 08:50 PM

Default RE: Treestand Safety, When should you upgrade?

AM, I wouldn't worry at all about "modern", geez, haven't changed that much. I would however consider the big "S", safety you know. I know some of the manufacturers suggest replacing them after 5 years. If it's a climber and doesn't have any "cables", you might be able to replace the bolts (be sure to use aircraft grade) and extend the life a little. If it's a "lock on" with cable supports, I wouldn't chance it. Personally, it's not worth risking a fall, how devastating would that be....Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-10-2002, 10:54 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I have two stands. One is a small aluminum one that my darling wife bought for me....I guess to apologize after an argument about me buying my crossbow. The other is made of plywood, 2X4s and rope. It's a folding portable, but it's bulky and heavy. I made it in 92 and used it for several seasons. It then sat in my parents basement from 96 or 97 till this year. it's still solid, and I have it hung in a really good spot, but this is the first year that I have left it in the woods, so I will probly retire that one this year. I did however move up to the "bonus chest safety strap" that came with the new stand. I used to just tie myself to the tree with some rope around the waist.

David.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Best to ask Summit that question.

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 10-11-2002, 02:17 PM

I agree with Cyclone, ask the question and keep the filter on for a sales pitch, but they will probably be straight with you.