Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broke Thanksgiving Tradition >

Broke Thanksgiving Tradition

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broke Thanksgiving Tradition

Old 11-24-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Broke Thanksgiving Tradition

Well for the last few years a few of the local deer and I have had a tradition of sorts. You see I would gun hunt till about lunch time, hurry back home and grab a bite of turkey or ham with the family and while everyone else was recovering from all the food I would change clothes and hurry back to the woods to hunt a while before heading to my inlaws for Thanksgiving dinner. Well for the past few years I have always hunted the same stand on this afternoon because of its easy access and quick, quiet exit. I have always seen a nice buck every year and every year something has happened to keep me from connecting. 3 years ago I had gun hunted a few days before in a thicket with 180 gr. bullets (scope sighted in w/ 165 gr.) and forgot to change back to 165's. Well Mr. Buck steps out at around 250yds. and I take my time, squeeze the trigger and clean miss. Probably under shot by at least a foot[]The next year, same stand another nice buck steps out into the field about 200yds. Take shot and he just bolts. I know its a clean miss again. Next day check scope and @ 100yds it is about 6" low and about 4" right( then remember gun sliding off shoulder one morning and banging against tree alittle but did not think it was enough to hurt) Last year same stand another "decent" deer comes out about 600yds away and looks like he might be promising. As he gets closer however I notice he's about 2 1/2 yrs old 4pt no brow tines and about 15" wide. Don't even bother looking through scope. Well I know you can't wait to see what happened today. I FINALLY broke this tradition..............I didn't go this afternoon (he he he he) Did I getcha?I think I prefer 10 to 20 yd. shots with my bow to 150- 250 yds with my gun
Old 11-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broke Thanksgiving Tradition

Well I broke my tradition this year also, I usually go out and shoot a pheasant but do to the lack of pheasants and the fact that I had to travel out of state to have dinner with my wifes aunt I didn't get to get my bird this year. Oh well I guess I will have to start again next year.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:39 AM

I keep telling all my hunting brothers, cousins, friends, aquaintences to "drop the gun" and come out with me and use my extra bow... because once you've gone bowhunting and had deer come by your stand (even if you don't geta shot) you're hooked faster and harder than a feine to crack.

I went out for the gun opener with my cousins because it's the only time I can spend hunting with them. I shot a fork with my 270 at 100 yards and the excitement was not even close compared to what I get when I'm bowhunting and a doe merely comes passed my stand and does not present a shot.

There's just no other kind of hunting like it and once tried, all other hunting all of a sudden becomes boring and even like child's play.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Broke one to, i usually always go rabbit hunting with my cousins and uncles on my real dads side of the family, no one invited me or even mentioned thanksgiving to me.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: A.D.D. BOY

Broke one to, i usually always go rabbit hunting with my cousins and uncles on my real dads side of the family, no one invited me or even mentioned thanksgiving to me.
Maybe they did but since you have Attention.Deficit.Disorder you weren't paying attention when they invited you. j/k man, I'm "ACCIDENTALLY" left out of things too so I feel your pain.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:08 PM

I always bow hunt turkey day by myself or with my daughters on my year to have them.But this year I made some brownie points for future hunting days.I like being ahead on points.Sure did make the wife happy.Heck I didnt even get into with my monster in law during dinner.I got some major points that day.