Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY... >

Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Old 09-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do NOT risk your life NEEDLESSLY...

Thanks, Bob.

This simple step doesn't cost that much, can be used year after year and best of all it works.

Statjunk, the prusic knot can fail, which is why I spent the $40 for the ascender (and no one pinches a penny more than I do!). Because the prusic can fail, most rock climbers will not use them in any serious situation.

Here's how I look at it: I spent a pile of money on gear and clothes (I won't bore you with a list that we're all to familiar with). Why would I not spend an extra $100 bucks or so to PREVENT myself from being seriously injured or killed.

If you use the prusic, test it regularly near the ground. I was in the US Navy for many years so I'm familiar with the knot but I don't like it because it is much more difficult to slide up as you climb when compared to the ascender.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

I fell out of a tree from about 15'. The tree stand was a home-made stand on public ground, but looked in good shape. Well I was up in it for about 2 hours when I shot a nice ten point buck. After the shot my father walked up to check things out. I lowered my rifle and equipment down to him. As I started to climb out of the stand, the top rung gave way and Icrashed to the ground. I hit the ground so quickly, that I bounced up and was on my feet before my dad knew what happened. The only thing that he could tell was that my glasses where gone and I had a dazed look on my face. At the time I was about 5'5" and 140 lbs. I was on the high school wrestling team so I was in really good shape. So my belief is no matter what shape or condition your in, it won't stop you from falling. After gaining my senses, I looked at the area where I fell and noticed, that if it wasn't for the thicker underbrush, I would probably be dead. Right were my neck had hit was a downed tree, which would have snapped it. I am now afraid of heights because of this incident and you will never catch me in a tree without a harness.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:10 AM

I have installed a rope and prussic sysytem in each of my fixed position stands this year. I would HIGHLY recommend this to everyone. I had a close call last year and don't want to risk it again. Spend the money and fix it up. It may be you posting about a fall this year. Either "Injured by fall" or "Saved by rope sysytem"
Good luck to all and HUNT SAFE
Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 AM

vc1111,
Thanks again for posting this info for others to see. I took your advice a couple years ago and this is my third year using the ropeman ascender. I bought about 200' of dynamic rope on sale and have it on all my stands. Now I get mountain climbing catalogs in my mail box. Yeah, right, with my dislike of heights.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would respectfully request that the mods make this a "sticky" for a few months.
This is a great post and I agree that it should be a sticky!

Come on guys, let's be serious we're competing with the Pretty Picture sticky thead! [8D]

To the guys using the prussic knot. I am very glad to hear that you are using some type of falling scheme while ascending and decending. For me though, I feel the same as vc.Trusting my knot tying abilities with my life is not something that I'm willing to do. But,if you are practicing tying knot correctlyand it is working (test it), and you feel confident with it, then it could work for you. Just me careful and use it everytime. Don't get lazy with it. THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT.