Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's that blob? >

What's that blob?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's that blob?

Old 11-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's that blob?

In terms of camo, ASAT, Predator or leafy can all help. I use both Predator and leafy this time of year depending on the spot,but there's no subsititute for good background cover and placement. Also you gotta stand most of the time and it's much more critical toSTAY STILL!!! The good news is that if you pay attention, you should see the deer much farther out and therefore have the opportunity to get into position before they get close enough to bust you.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:16 AM

You'd be surprised how invisible you are to game. Yes, sitting in a tree with no cover etc, they might look at you for a second but they'll dismiss you all but immediately. Until one wears it, one doesn't understand....I wouldn't preach it if I didn't wear it or believe in it....I've talked to, waved at and moved intentionally on game I wasn't interested in to test it...simply put, they just can't figure you out. It truly does amaze me. Sure it's not magic, and ya'll can be skeptic but those that wear it, understand what I'm talking about...
I'm not down playing the effectiveness of ASAT, I wear it every hunt and love the stuff, but its not a cure all. I was on a hunt the other week, I was running late getting into the woods and I didnt go all the way to the tree I usually hunt. I just found a tree and scurried up it, once up there I realized I was pretty out in the open but I didnt want to move as the sun was already coming up. Sure enough I have a nice buck come in out of some thick cover, I'm 25' up in my tree andthe buck is at 8 yards, I slightly moved to be in position to draw when hegot behind a tree. As soon as I moved his head shot straight up, I froze but the gig was up, he got the hell out of dodge. My ASAT 3d leafy suit didnt save me from my poor decision to climb a bare tree and leave myself out in the open. ASAT is awesome and with some cover behind you, I agree you can get away with a lot. But I dont care what camo you have on if you are
silhouetted with no background cover a deer will bust you.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:13 PM

I like to huint in spruce trees this late in the year.This way you have year round cover.Also helps to cover up your scent.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

All that pine, spruce and hemlock is great if they growin your area. These trees aren't in my area so much. That's why I'm going to try the screw in branch holders. These should help alot in breaking up my "blob" like appearance.I have some beech branches that still keep thier leaves cut to fit so I think this should work.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:30 PM

Another thing to take into account is mature deer have usually already busted other hunters in trees, and will spook a LOT easier when they see something suspicious in trees.
I go up 25' and wear mossy oak stuff mostly. I'm okay as long as I'm STILL...I'd LOVE to try the ASAT stuff...if someone wants to donate a set.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

I think MQ1's pattern is the best for the almost always gray skys we have in Mich. I try to use an open pattern if Ihunt above 15' if I am lower 12' to ground level I'll use darker andI have some old camo(military) netting I use for cover front or back depending on what cover is around me. It's suprising how much movement you can get away withbehind camo cover. I also use a cover scent and try to match my surroundings (cedar/earth). When hanging stands I usually try for something with background behind me (that's why the 10'-12' stand heights).
Old 11-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

keep alot of break up behind you....some times i use that camo mesh stuff if i can't get a good cover any other way.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with talondale...go higher and be more conscience of your movement.

Kelly