Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting?? >

Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

Man it must suck for some of you guys. I think that my wife looks as forward to me hunting as I do.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Spike

I must say that this thread has been very interesting. I originally read it thinking it was going to be some silly poem or made-up story. I was wrong. Gosh, I do enjoy getting this littlepeak into the minds of you men. And I am quite happy to see that most men are right on the money with how life should be led. Remembering your priorities and that if you are in a relationship, your time is not your own. Bottom line - if you have kids and responsibilities then those need to be SHARED. It is not fair for your wife to be left at home to tend to everything while you go out and about whenever you please. Also spending the families money on only your "hobbies" isn't right either. Ahhh...I would love to see the reaction of the "I choose hunting over my wife" guys if she were to spend 4 months out of the year being away from home doing her "thing" and spending whatever money she felt like in pursuit of her "hobby" (whatever that might be). Ha - and dear old hubby gets to sit home, take care of the house and the kids and can never complain about missing his ol' lady! I can't say for sure, but I'm betting that simply wouldn't go over well!! )

Awww, heck, to each his own. I don't feel badly for the gal who's significant other chooses hunting over her, because undoubtedly there is someone out there who is going to treat her with the love and respect she deserves...and that's way better than sticking it out with a selfish man!!

I'm not bitter though...

(hee, hee, hee)

Really, I'm not. I'm just so amazed and actually pleasantly surprised by this entire conversation. And I will say thatlast fall was the first year I was with my boyfriend and he did his hunting thing...while I was pregnant...and I was jealous. I was home with the kids and he was out doing his "thing." Thankfully he had a bad shoulder and didn't do any bow hunting because I don't think our relationship would have made it based on how often he goes hunting now that he's better. Ha, ha! Thankfully though, I mentioned an interest and most of the time spent hunting is spent hunting together and that has been a wonderful experience!! It's certainly brought us closer together and I don't think I can ever get tired of hearing about all his old hunting stories. Granted, having a bad memory surely helps keep those stories fresh!! LOL!!

Well...enjoy the rest of the season. We are off to hunt this weekend, and maybe - just maybe - I'll not only FINALLY see a freakin' deer, I might actually get to shoot my first deer!!! Here's to hoping!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

- Michelle
Old 11-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea looks like we got two REAL MEN on here and the rest of us that actually care what our wives think. I wish my wife would hunt with me but she has no interest in the killing part at all. I can respect that. Heck them days when you don't see anything could turn into some fun hunt's with the wife along.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Spike

Exactly!!! ) Together...in the deep woods...all alone. Certainly an opportunity to make some lasting memories!!

And I think I'll be okay with the killing part...it's the field dressing that I might have a problem with!! My boyfriend says I have to do it...at least my first deer...but I'm working on him, and I'm thinking the fact that Iwon't be able tostop hurling might make him want to do it for me!! LOL! At least that's what I'm counting on!!

- Michelle
Old 11-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife doesn't want to hunt but she did go on a turkey hunt with me and also was willing to sit up in a stand and film deer. She may want to tag along if all the kids end up being hunters too. (or she may want to take a long bath, or read, or play on the computer, or any number of things she can't do now with watching the kids)

My buddy's wife hunt's with him. She shot this 6 pointer opening day Saturday.

BTW, that's my buddy in the pic, not me.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Nope never lost one, they always seem to make it out of the woods just fine. Must be the GPS. Anyway, call me what you will but my list goes God, Family, Friends, and somewhere down the list hunting.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:22 PM

My wife calls herself the "Happy Hunting Widow", but it is in fun. She gets all the attention she can stand. As long as she knows I'm not gone most nights hunting as a way to slap her in the face, she doesn't care how much I go as long as I still pull my weight, pay attention to her, and put my families needs first - she is ok with it all. It goes the same both ways.

For all you fellas that put hunting first and tell your women to like it or lump it - Please send me your addresses, and pictures of your women. I know some single guys that are on the prowl looking for women stuck in relationships like that so they can step in swinging their homewreckers.

If a guy doesn't pay attention to a gal, she is pretty likely to pay attention to someone that will.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not yet, but if I could get her to put on that new fur coat with the antlers on the hood........

Seriously, I, like most of you, chose well. We spend plenty of time together and we enjoy our time apart also.

Honestly don't we all do some serious reflecting on our life and the choices we made, while sitting idle in a tree for hours on end. Usually we end up saying to ourselves "Damn boy, you done good!"

Old 11-22-2005, 01:37 PM

A girlfriend once but oh well.3 years ago I almost lost my wife over the deal.Now she has learned that isMY time of the year.I still get crap for not helping around the house more.I know I should do more.But hey if I can be in the stand then I am there. LOL She has finally come to temrs with my hunting obsession (I know I spelled that wrong but I tried). She now gives me hell on a daily basis for not coming home with the buck I have been hunting for 3 years now and I have been on him exclusively for 2 weeks now.There is also now a P&Y 8 pointer there also so he is also a target for me.I will get them both this year if I can help it.I have gotten so close to the 10 that it makes me sick.I am moving up the fence row tonight in hopes of getting him before the last light is gone.She just smiles and laughs at me for it.She also has no problem with my trophies on the wall.We built a new house 3 years ago and the living room is ny room.The house was chosen for its wall space and looks with animals on the walls and the beams going across between the first and open upper level.All done in wood to accent my deer heads.I would say if you can work with them a little they usually come around if they care what it important to you.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I feel that I should of written my post to this thread a little differently.......not because of a change of feelings or mindset, but because it may of been a little off base.

I ended a 4 year relationship with a girl in June that I planned on proposing to this past summer. While me hunting was at the bottom of the listof our problems, her refusal to respect my hobby and seeking some alone time in the fall was torture for me. I gave her every opportunity to possibly join me in the woods, target shoot, or take up archery. She declined, and just stayed home. I offered to help her "get into" her own little hobby, but she let her jobdetermine her life, and I myself felt neglected after a couple years. I only asked for aweek and a halfof free time a year to bowhunt, and that was chore. I gave up my fair share of saturday hunts,3-shoots, fishing trips and soon to spend time with her, but she wouldn't give me the respect that I askedfrom her when it came to my vacation time. I even offeredvacation trips for us to take in the off season, but in the end, looking back on it, I learned it was only about how much I would give up so she could have her way. She wanted me to give up my stupid hunting time for her; andin her eyes and mind, it was theonly real way for me to show how much I loved and cared about her. I stood my ground for what I believed in, for 7 days of bowhunting vacation a year, in peace, withoutguilt trips, withoutfights,and I lost.

Quick Reply: Have you ever Lost a WIFE or GIRLFRIEND due to Hunting??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.