Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Climbing stand >

New Climbing stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Climbing stand

Old 11-21-2005, 04:11 PM

Default New Climbing stand

I just bought a Loggy Bayou Mega Transformer. I was wondering if any of you had any tips about using climbers. The last time I used one I think the year was 1988 and I was 17. I remember that it was the loudest thing in the woods not to mention a real pain to install on the tree. Idecided to go back to a climber because I'm sick of getting my hang ons stolen. Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New Climbing stand

Congrats on your new climber. Yep, most of the newer ones have done away with those wingnuts and v-bars. Climbing is much easier with most modern stands, especially those that have a bar to sit on. Just make sure to follow the instructions/video and practice a few times so your stand becomes your friend.

To make any stand even quieter, first check all(if any)moving parts. Adding a nylon or plasticwasher where bolts/nuts pivot on some stands can work wonders. Alsoadding foam pipe insulation to the arms and either tape or using tie-wraps to secure itis good if you rest your bow across your lap. Anotheris to add adhesive felt where the top and bottom nests together while packing your stand. Its thin so your stand will still fit together well and will stop clanking while walking. Also, if necessary buy a bungi cord to strap across the top and bottom, it will even fit them together tighter, allowing no noise at all while packing in and out.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 PM

2things. Get familiar with it at ground level before using it for hunting. It sounds silly, but they can be confusing until you get the hang of it. Install it on the tree, take it off the tree a few times to get familiar with it. Install it, then get in it a few times. Then climb a short ways, then down. Just become familiar with it.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS

Old 11-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow, Loggy has changed a lot. I have an older model that predates the Legend Series. I might have to take a closer look at a new legend. I prefer to hug the tree and shimmy up it.

My two cents worth combinedgood advice above, practice also with different types of trees. Some taper much more then others thus requiring a steeper starting angle. Other trees are very naturally very slick making climbing dangerous and/or if not impossible. A certain Beach tree comes to mind. I found out I couldn't make it above 10' and had to find another tree early one morning.[:@] The last thing in to always bring an few screw in steps just in case the perfect tree has a low obstacle to over come before you can climb up.

Good luck, I always swear by my loggy.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:38 PM

I agree with all the rest, but one thing they didn't mention.....Always tie the platfom to the climber's upper seat section with a nylon rope......Sooner or later you will drop the platform (especially on some hardwood trees) and will be glad you can grasp the rope and pull it back up to you.....Wear your harness...Seat-o-the Pants by Summit is a very good one........
Old 11-21-2005, 08:48 PM

As others have stated, make sure you have safety harness on at all times whether going up or down not just while sitting there. You might even want to try it at home during the night if you can. If you go in before daylight things just aren't the same as they are in the daylight.And yes, try different size trees and how they taper....no fun having to come down and start over again.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Typical Buck

Become familiar with it BEFORE you start hunting with it. If possible, try to climb as many differnt shaped trees and types of trees as possible. I say this because some tree get more slinder as you go up and some don't, in which if you don't compensate for the slinderness 25 ft. up (or how far you want to climb) then the bottom of you stand will be slanted downwards. Also, look for softer bark trees in your area. If at all possible, I try to find Ash Trees, as they as the softest bark and most slip resistant trees in my area. So.....if you practice before you hunt on a wide variety of trees and know which ones your climber/you "prefers" then you can go out into the woods with full confidence.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:11 AM

Thanks to everyone who gave their input. I have already set it up a few times in my yard on a pine tree. Its definitely different than what I'm used to. I will take it with me when I go out but I don't think I'll be hunting with it just yet. Once I'm done hunting, I think I will practice with it on red oaks. The majority of trees on our lease is red oaks. Thanks again guys.