Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guys I need some help >

Guys I need some help

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guys I need some help

Old 11-20-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Guys I need some help

I shot a nice 8 pointer this morning, however I hit a twig and ended up shooting him pretty far back. He was quartering away pretty sharply. I gave him eight hours then got on the blood trail. The blood was almost a maroon color and further down the trail there was some bright red blood with air bubbles. I tracked him for about 300 yards before it got dark, and it is supposed to rain tonight. I'm going to look for him all day tomorrow, I just hope the dogs around here didnt push him. I have never seen anything like this, people just letting their dogs run all over the place chasing deer. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this would be my first mature buck.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guys I need some help

All you can do is look for him the best you can. If you had a pretty good blood trail than he shouldn't be to far. Go to the last place you saw him see if you can find some more blood. Also listen for dogs and look for them to tell you where he might be. If your deer is down chances are they might be knawing on him. Good luck man.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:19 PM

Do you know how far back you hit him? Alsohow high were you and how far was the shot? A few more people will chime in with this information.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:15 PM

So when does the season for free ranging dogs start? I know sounds bad and cruel but someone has to stop it. I have almost mistaken dogs for deer a few times. makes me mad that you sit there and think a deer is coming and yourblood is flowin and it turns out to be the biggest........... DOG you ever seen.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remember that wounded deer have a real knack for doubling back in the direction they came from .It sound's as though you might have hit the liver with dark blood and just maybe clipped a lung as well or maybe if the arrow was still in him it worked it's way to thelung .Good luck and I hope you find him .

nubo
Old 11-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Remember that wounded deer have a real knack for doubling back in the direction they came from
My thoughts exactly. It happened to my friend, he hit a little far back the buck ran thru a 100 acre field and circled back into some thick stuff 50 yards from where he was shot.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lattern does wonders as an aid in tracking in the dark!! With rain in the forcast, I would be out there while I still had blood to follow!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

You really needed to get a light/lantern or something and keep tracking thru the night. Now its goingto be dumb luck if you find it. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

It also sounds like a liver/one lung hit. I bet you find him not far from the last blood. He'll have to bed soon. Waiting eight hours was a very good thing to do before going after him. Let us know.