Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting videos and fair chase? >

Hunting videos and fair chase?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting videos and fair chase?

Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting videos and fair chase?

i'd say tred bartas fair chase?? ... but yes alot of the videos are foolish...ever notice in alot of them they have to open a gate to drive into their hunting spot??
Old 11-22-2005, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I remember getting into a fight as a young man.....and being SO pumped up with adrenaline....that I became physically ill, afterwards (nauseas).

I watched 2 different hunters on Dream Season this year.....being filmed....and both of them said they had to sit down after shooting a deer....because they felt sick.

THAT is "the truth". THAT is REAL. I respect what the Drury brothers are doing for bow hunting....and hunting in general. They didn't hesitate ONE BIT to publicly chastise one of the hunters for taking a shot they deemed "unethical" (even though the hunter harvested the animal). I said it was a bad shot when he took it (I was watching it with my 13 yr old). I was glad to see them call him out on it.

Just my .02

Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 07:56 AM

You dont even want to know my opinion! 100% Fair Chase. Let me ask you all this. How many of you hunt on private ground of at least a 1000 acres? Next question, on this 1000 acres, how many food plots do you have built. How many are built with corn, soybean and biologic some with both corn and biologic and some with bean and biologic? How many of these hunting grounds are specifically meant to be trophy hunting grounds.

That is exactly what the Drury boys hunt on, Realtree, HS Specialties, Primos, all of em. Now, I do like dream season, very well done! I really think Mark and Terry Drury are for real. Also, their productions are second to none.

But as far as any of them realistically representing something you and I see in the real world every day, very hard to come by.

Oh, there are a lot of shows that I think actually hurt our sport more than help it. Shooting animals next to game feeders, fences, climate controlled blinds with ranchers radioing which deer to shoot, yes that hurts our sport. At least HS, Drury, Primos, and a couple of others are at least trying to portray the real world, but lets face it. 90% of hunters hunt on 40-300 acres areas that are cattle land or crop land that just happen to have a few deer on them. Yes, we might plant a 1/4 acre food plot here and there and put out some salt licks, but its no where close to what the ranches do and what the Drury boys plant.

Another thing I cannot stand is all the fake shots. Obvious camera shots taken after the animal was killed, like pulling back, ranging the animal, finding him with binoculars and stuff like that. Turkey videos are the worst. Like we are supposed to believe the camera man is moving around that much with a monster buck or 25 Pound long beard 20 yards away.

OK I am done!

Wait, Best hunt on video......Need to check out HS Primetime, disc two first or second hunt. I forget which one it is, but its a non prostaffer maybe a field staff member shoots a monster on private ground. Real hunting at its best.

Now I'm done!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The staged shots don't bother me. That's just theatrics to fill time and give a sense of continuity. No hunter is going to take two cameramen out thereso that he can have one to film him and one to film the deer. Think of the movies you see where there are two people having a conversation. The camera switches views from one person to the other, but you don't see the camera man over their shoulders. That's not "real" either. It's just meant to make you feel more like your there and break up the monotony of one angle shots. They can also be used to edit out shakey footage where a camera man is trying to reposition or by doing so gets a momentary over-exposure to light (washed out screen) and lots of other things that would make the film look amatueristic.

That being said,I do hate fake enthusiasm and fake recoveries. I don't mind the camera man being on the other side of the deer but acting like you just found it when it's obviously beengroomed seems like abad production call to me. I also wish they'd get better music and show some maps or arials to give us an idea of what's going on besides "they're bedding down up there and moving through here to the alfalfa fields below." Well, duh, but why that exact spot?

As far as public land hunting: I know I've mentioned it before but Roger Raglin's older videos were pretty good for that. He only had an occassional ranch hunt. Most were on private land like what we hunt. In his grand slam video he takes a P&Y buck on National forest land in VA and then another nice buck in a neighborhood in OK next to his kids soccer field. He spotted the buck while they were practicing and then scouted the area, got permission to hunt and bagged his buck. The videos are dated now but he does have some good old shows. Be warned, their's some staged shooting and recovery scenes!