Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 T.V Hunting turning me into Activest >

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Default RE: T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Please stop ruining my enjoyment of the Outdoor Channel - alright, I know the majority are canned, but they're fun to watch....Realtree Roadtrips is good entertainment. The public land show idea is genious.

One thing in defense of the shows - it's not as sporting, but the canned hunts are stillno guarantee - I know some folks that hunt on 5000+ acres (personal not commercial)year round food plots partially fenced etc.but they typically only take the trophies during the couple weeks the bucks are in full rut. You would assume that the fortune they spend on the property would produce trophy bucks every time you walked out of the lodge, but it's not the case.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I tell my wife all the time....

I could make a stalk look realistic on the 8 or 10 goats that are in the pasture across the street.

And I don't want to pixx anyone off....for this is just MY opinion....but the gun hunts on TV are NOTHING more than "shooting". It's NOT "hunting". My 13 yr old is likely done with gun hunting ....by his own volition....due to the TV shows. He sees no sport in it, any more. I concur.

For some reason....we don't like the bear hunts, on TV, either. We like the Dream Season show.....the Campbell's show (Where all the hunts are filmed for the contest).....and a FEW others. I think Michael Waddell is an ethical guy.....and he's just lucky to hunt some PRIME spots.

Just my opinions....

Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 08:09 AM

I definitely agree with you. It makes me sick to see these so called hunters go out and kill a p&y that has been hand fed and be proud of it. I would like to see a hunting show dedicated to the hunting of public land only. That way they would actually have to hunt to kill something.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think a lot of people take watching hunting shows way too seriously. It's entertainment. It's cool to see deer come in and get shot. I agree there are some times when things don't go according to plan or I feel the show producer could make things look a little better, but I either choose to watch or change the channel. Not a big deal either way. You take the good with the bad, or just don't watch at all.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I think a lot of people take watching hunting shows way too seriously. It's entertainment. It's cool to see deer come in and get shot. I agree there are some times when things don't go according to plan or I feel the show producer could make things look a little better, but I either choose to watch or change the channel. Not a big deal either way. You take the good with the bad, or just don't watch at all.
I agree.

I wish the Blue Collar Comedy fellas would make a hunting video! Now that would be funny right there!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

It truely is amazing to me how people jump to these completely baseless accusations and start throwing around terms like "high fence", "baiting", and "unethical" like they have some sort of first hand knowledge that the rest of us aren't privvy to.

There are a lot of shows out there with a lot of people who have worked awfully hard to get where they're at. Just because a guy busts his butt to hunt hard, manage some land, and created enough notoriety and connections within the hunting industry to warrant having their own show doesn't by any means make them undeserving, unethical, or just flat out a bad hunter. So to just label every hunting show as "bad" is completely ridiculous.

Sure there's bits and pieces of some shows that might be taken in question from time to time but keep in mind that they can't possibly give you the entire story in one 30 minute show so you get the "highlights" so to speak.

Also let's keep in mind that there are different tactics of hunting in different parts of the country depending on what species you're going after. So while you might see something on TV that you do not personally agree with - i.e. baiting, "hopping out of a truck to shoot a muley", hunting with dogs, etc - these are perfectly legal and acceptable forms of hunting. Let's stop judging people by the way they hunt, where they hunt, or how many animals they kill and start worrying about being glad they're out there keeping these traditions alive while supporting our cause and managing animal populations.

And if you're too shallow or narrow minded to do that - turn the channel. I heard Desperate Housewives and Gilmoure Girls are pretty good this year.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: hoytvtec

Don't get me wrong there's nothing better to me than scouting and setting in the woods all day. BUT some of these shows? There not hunting 10 yards away with the animals head sticking in a feed bucket. Or "Hunting" a lease where the deer are almost pet's hand raised in food plot's and seeing people is common since birth. The worst part is these guy's-Gal's are proud of there self for filming the shot. Let's see them go to the common wood that most of us hunt and have to actually HUNT. Some of these kinda make me sick and i feel sorry for the animal. How many of you have been to the woods 2 or 3 times in the same day and had heards of bucks walking within 15 yards and you pass the shot on a 10 point because you are waiting on a bigger one? There is several deer in my land that comes in the front yard but there no challenge and i drive 30 miles to actually hunt. These guy's look at the camera,Talk and move around like crazy. If i breath with a deer under my stand he's GONE.
I completely agree... I get so ticked off when i am sitting in the stand all day and see nothing.. go home to watch one of these canned shows and they are letting 10 pointers walk by like they are does. It's such a joke that they should be ashamed of themselves. Actually, There are quite a few bucks on the front page of this website that I would have to question... People just don't see these types of deer out in the wild...
Old 11-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I do not look at any of the shows. Every time I do all I see is crap hunting,BS tactics,VERY VERY dumb deer/elk.I am not sure where people hunt on the shows but I my self have never seen some of the crap the hunters can get away with.

I have many many PY deer and a few PY elk. All came from public land.I have allso never used a guide. What I do is HUNT I donot set in a chair and look at the tv.I take hunting like it is my life.I hunt 30 to 45 days non stop till i fill my tags. I allso let a lot of smaller bucks/bulls walk befor I shoot.

There is only 3 ways to kill a real big/old animal

1st BUY it === This is tv show way
2nd Put in tons of time look for the animal you want alll year.
3 Get real lucky

No money no time GOOD LUCK
Charles Bradford
Old 11-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

I really don't understand where some of you get your information from... Have any of you been on one of these 30K hunts where you "picked you deer, they drugged him" and said "Hurry up before he passes out"...LOL Are you serious...??

I havenever seen a show where you see a Fence in the back ground. I have Tivo and I watch nearly every hunting show on OLN and ESPN... Never seen it... I also had the pleasure to hunt with the guys from Outdoor Moments (Bud and Kelly) at a camp in South Carolina for Deer and Hogs... There were no fences, they hunted the same stands I did, and left empty handed...

I think most of the people that are totally against these shows are the ones that Can't make it happen... SO they automatically think, "No way there are doing this on the land I hunt", "Has to be a High Fence area", "Drugged Deer" or whatever else they can come up with... Fact is most of these professional hunters spend WAY MORE Time Working on Harvesting Mature Whitetails then the Average Joe even has time to think about it...

I'll give you this... They are hunting the BEST land in the Country... Wouldn't you be...?? It's TV, no one wants to see them go out and shoot a 4 pointer... So they goto the Best Managed lands in the country with the best Outfitters in the business... Doesn't mean they have High Fences and Drugged Deer... Get over it people...

One side note, I am in by no way saying that these High Fence drugged deer places are not out there... But do you really think that Mark Drury, Michael Widell, Tom Miranda, ect are going to these places...?? Word would get out, and do you think they would advertise it at the end of the show... "Hey Come on down to Big Tom's High Fence Mega Buck Store and You tocan pick the buck of a lifetime!! And for another $1000 we'll even let you drug him yourself... WOW... I don't think so...

Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I get so ticked off when i am sitting in the stand all day and see nothing.. go home to watch one of these canned shows and they are letting 10 pointers walk by like they are does
This is EXACTLY what I am talking about... I pass 2 1/2 year old deer all the time, I bet i have passed 6 different 8 pointers this year alone... I am not hunting a High Fence... Just cause you are not seeing deer doesn't mean the people that are, are hunting Drugged High Fence Deer...

People just don't see these types of deer out in the wild...
You may not see Deer like these in the Wild... Some people do... And some people see them Consistantly... Just cause you aren't getting it done, you shouldn't talk bad about those that are... Especially when you have no proof to backup your statements... That is how RUMORS and LIES are started...

Quick Reply: T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.