Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 T.V Hunting turning me into Activest >

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Old 11-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Default RE: T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

ORIGINAL: Trembow

My biggest peeve about "hunting" shows is the blatantly fake "tracking". Just yesterday I saw one where the guy clearly spined the deer as it went down like a ton of bricks in the middle of a field with the arrow sticking straight out up in the air. Cut to the scene when he says "I've got a deer down out here somewhere....let's go find him." What? Does this guy have amnesia and forget the thing is laid out in the open with his fletching standing up in the air like an ice-fishing tip-up flag gone off?

When he gets there, saying "there his is, over there...", the arrow is nowhere to be seen. I always knew these stupid scenes were faked, but COME-ON!
Maybe this explains how the camaraman is usually filming the trackers from the deers location as they "find" it. Now that this post is here people will be looking for stupid things that are done on these videos, like filming the kill shot, the acting is just horrible. Gotta also like how they obviously must make the clicking noise of the safety going off loud enough for the camera to pick up the sound. Also like the footage of the hunter in the blind being filmed from outside at ground level. I'm with the majority here these shows are really starting to annoy anyone who knows what real hunting is. And if anyone believes that most of these shows are fair chase then send 'em my way and we'll see what they could do in the real world without farmers practically telling what time a certain deer will be somewhere.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

hey iowabob, if Drury hunts fences as you say - lets see the facts!
Old 11-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Honkey, hope you don't watch those hunting shows, what do you do after a kill shot? just curios man?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I stand there a listen for a crash, or watch the animal die. Idon't disrespect what just occured. It's just me out there, who am I going to preform for? When I take an animals life I take a moment and thank God I live in a place where I can hunt and enjoy his creation. Sure it's exciting and I am happy but I try not to rebel in my own horn blowing contest.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I stand there a listen for a crash, or watch the animal die. Idon't disrespect what just occured. It's just me out there, who am I going to preform for? When I take an animals life I take a moment and thank God I live in a place where I can hunt and enjoy his creation. Sure it's exciting and I am happy but I try not to rebel in my own horn blowing contest.
Very well said Motown.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stoneman
The only thing I've ever watched was a video by Tree Lounge, and it was a long time ago. The only thing I remember was that there was a woman who "squealed" every time she made a kill...I kinda wanted to punch her by the end of the tape.
I remember that old woman! Every time she got one she would
holler and dance around like an idiot.I still have that old tape
somewhere.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

If you really want to be shocked, log on to some of the outfitter websites that they give at the end of the shows and price their hunts. I've seen hunts all the way up to $30,000, where you go pick out the stud that you can afford and they drug him and turn him loose, then they hope he doesn't pass out before the hunter can make his shot. What a joke! How could doing that make anybody proud of themselves. And then there are these slobs like on Penn's woods' show that claim they only shoot mature animals, but you can routinely see them shoot 1 1/2 year old bucks every week. Then they use the excuse that there aren't any better bucks where they hunt. I e-mailed them and asked them about it and they replied very rudely and stated that they could shoot whatever they want and that they never shoot anything younger than 21/2. so I replied and told them that they could quit shooting these babies in the name of a tv show and let them grow as to increase the mature deer pop. I also said that I would rather see an empty tag than see a 1 1/2 yr old (or what they claim is 2 1/2) be killed just so they can have a kill scene for their show. They never replied
Old 11-20-2005, 06:53 PM

I think lots of the shows you can buy like drury outdoors and primetime videos are definetly all real. Although there are your select few that hunt out of game preserves but one that i have ever seen. Drury and primetimehunt at all the outfitters and areas that i could hunt if i wanted too. they are all really good managed areas that they can pass up 140, 150 calss bucks because they know there are bigger ones in the area.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:11 PM

I personally don't think it is the host or hunter of the shows fault. I think it is there sponsors or whoever there authority is. If the guy doesn't comply he is out of a job. And honestly I myself cant stand canned hunts, I myself would really like someone to start a hunting show filmed strictly on public land that anyone could go to. But if you were given the chance for someone to pay you a good living to go and hunt on expensive ranches for free would you not take them up on it? Also if i was one of those hunting show hosts I think my hunting career would suck so bad because if you think about it you have already killed so many trophies. You have absolutely nothing to work forward too because you have already killed so many big deer. At least hunting in the real world you always wonder what the next day will bring or what the next years season will bring. Would't it be cool if all of us on this forum filmed and submitted one of our real world hunts a season and started a real hunting show. You sure would have an interesting show now wouldn't you. Hmmm maybe we ought to think about that.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think one of the problems is the approach of volume over quality. Just think about if someone created a tape that was a guy targeting a specific buck in an area, or specific level of buck, and how he approached the hunt. The strategy, the setups, the close calls, the mistakes, the victories. The problem with this approach is that you MAY only get one film. The sales alone of one film won't justify the expense. Two guys couldn't make enough to pay themselves if they did the whole thing themselves. They may be able to get a couple of sponsors but that would probably mean just some free equipment. It's a tough business model. The only way you're going to get that kind of film is if someone does it as a hobby. The other downside to this idea is the risk involved. Look at how many threads we have of guys hunting a specific buck only to find it killed by a car/another hunter/a tree. Where's your video then? That's why these guys go where they can be guaranteed a buck. They need to know they can feed their kids, pay the mortgage, etc this year. If the single hunt concept could take a hold then their might be a chance for some more quality deer. Even the hunts where the deer is killed by someone else would be interesting. Think how many of us have read those threads.

Quick Reply: T.V Hunting turning me into Activest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.