Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I lost another great hunting place >

I lost another great hunting place

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I lost another great hunting place

Old 11-18-2005, 05:06 PM

Default I lost another great hunting place

I've been hunting the same area for about 15 years!I've lost alot of good hunting land to this guy.About 7 years ago he bought property,posted it and put up a bunch of tin can houses (double wides).[:'(]
The biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild lives in the area he posted.I know he made it through last season because I saw him and some of his rubs.I hunted the area Oct 15,opening day.
I also lost my homemade treestand I've had their for 5 years.It was their opening day but after he posted the area I went to get it and it was gone.
Just had to vent!I wish I would hit the lottery!I'd buy some land and would never have to worry about losing land again!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I lost another great hunting place

Sorry to hear that man. Stories like that make me thankfull for the hunting
places I have. Hopefully you can find a new place soon.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:25 PM

Hey I know what it's like I lost hunting land that my family that has had permission for 30 years and on the frist day of bow season I lost permission i Know what it's like...
Old 11-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me too! Been there, done that! I don't know where you are located but you should try finding a place to hunt in Maryland, and I'm not talking about exclusive hunting rights, either. Keep looking, asking and hoping. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me too. I had a GREAT place that I hunted for the past 22 years. I lost all but about 6 acres of it to an idiot who just started working for the landowner. I can still SEE deer and kill a few, but the true GIANT bucks stay over on the other side where I can't go.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:52 AM
Dominant Buck

While losing a good spot does suck , and it's happened to nearly all of us , it isn't abnormal or even new .
The way I deal with it is too look at it as a challenge to find a newer and even better spot . Hunting the same places over and over can get stale no matter how nice they are , and hunting new ground is always exciting since you're rolling the dice more than you othwise would have with a familiar spot . I live on and hunt a fairly productive small tract , but I still love packing a pop-up blind or climber into a place I've never seen and seeing what I can find out there .

Some of my favorite hunts have been on smaller , less well known public land tracts of 400 acres or less that don't get the pressure that their bigger cousins do , and you'd be surprised athow much game you'll see on them . Look over an onlinetopo map of an area that shows promise , identify those small overlooked publics , and zero in on one that looks the most favorable . You can do a surprising amount of scouting from space , and you can quickly locate promising features without ever setting foot there . Be sure to look for the areas of easiest entry as well as the harder ones , you'll come in the harder way , but if you plan it right your "drivers" will come in the easy way after you're settled in and run the game right to you .

Life just handed you a lemon , make some lemonade and look for a new challenge!