Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good cheap climber tree stand?

Old 11-19-2005, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: good cheap climber tree stand?

What do you think layaway was made for , son ?
If there's a big box store near enough to do that then go do that .

I have an Ameristep Prarie Falcon , which is fairly light at 21 lbs.The construction is pretty sturdy steel instead of aluminum , but I frankly wish that I had saved up for a better one even though this one "was a steal" at $45 at a clearance sale. I weigh about 210 , and the standhasthe nylon cloth seat common to cheaper models , so I don't feel as secure as I would with a nice sturdy suspended seat that had a backrest andarm rests. I tend to nap when things get quiet , and I want to be certain that I won't fall out . Not quite the bargain that I thought it would be after all .

Once the holidays are over I'm looking to upgrade, and if that means layaway or just saving up then that's what I'll do .Do yourself a favor and wait until you can afford a quality stand and fall restraint .
Old 11-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Cheap means made in China. Personally, I like to buy products made by workers who know what they will be used for, and most likely use or have used them.

A buddy of mine bought a climber on clearance from Wally World. 3rd time out the platform fell(never had top & bottom tied together). It took an hour for his dad to bring an extension ladder so he could get down. Good thing he carries his cell phone with him.[8D]
Old 11-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I don't know what brand it was but I went to the local Hardware Hank in town and asked about some tree stand steps, she came back with a climber and said she would take $15 for it. I gobbled that deal up and hunted out of it around 10 times now, kinda small for me but it works.