HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   running deer with dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/121644-running-deer-dogs.html)

SCdeerkiller 11-18-2005 01:42 PM

running deer with dogs

i live in south carolina and every body around me loves to shoot deer in front of dogs running them what do yall think

Wolfpack 11-18-2005 01:52 PM

RE: running deer with dogs

Same here in NC.I have done it but I have been "hugging" trees for about 25yrs. and I prefer that. That is a sticky subject around here. Most tree huggers don't get along with dogmen. Some of the ones around here are pretty good guys though.

BobCo19-65 11-18-2005 02:02 PM

Very did it myself, but I know a guy who loves to do it. Hey to each his own. It's fine by me.

GR8atta2d 11-18-2005 02:33 PM

Only because you asked, I'll say I think it stinks! I've lived in NC and FL I know they do it that way but I don't care for the method. Dogs are for Rabbits and Birds and the occasional Coon anything else in my book is not sporting.

This is my opinion, and I was asked for it! So before I get jumped by Deer, Bear and Mountain Lion Hunters, let me get in my disclaimer! My Opinion only!!!

highcountrysp 11-18-2005 02:43 PM

Honestly, since its Illegal to run deer with dogs in Ohio, I shootthe dogs I see chasing deer around the woods.

salty 11-18-2005 02:53 PM

that is not very sportsmanlike and personally in NY the dogs and owner will probably be shot for doing such a ridiculuous thing. I don't mean pets that accidentally wander into the woods.. I mean people that purposely train their dogs to run deer.

SCdeerkiller 11-18-2005 03:29 PM

but the deer have a fair chance because there going so fast

dynatec 11-18-2005 03:52 PM

I hunt rabbits with beagles but I think dogs chasing deer isn't right. Just my opinion.It also can't make for the best meat .

Bassman4940 11-18-2005 04:02 PM

Not only do I think it’s unethical as hell, a deer that has been chased like that will be as tuff as shoe leather and so gamey tasting only the dogs will want to eat it!
When an animal is placed under that kind of stress, the adrenaline and lactic acids will remain in the muscles and will give it a a very unpleasant taste.

I would prefer to take a deer that is calm, and is dispatched as quickly and humanely as possible.

SCdeerkiller 11-18-2005 04:17 PM

bassman the meat taste the same and it aint unethical and it aint so bad only dogs want to eat it its pretty good meat

dont hate until youve tried it after u tried then cry about how "unethical" it is