Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 running deer with dogs >

running deer with dogs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

running deer with dogs

Old 11-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Default RE: running deer with dogs

Having grown up in the "lowstate" of SC, I've had to put up with this infernal practice for the last 25 years. Yes, the "doggers" do have the right by law to do what they do, but my main problem with this is that dogs don't know boundary lines and will run whomever's property the deer happens to go on. Our 500 acres is surrounded by land leased these idiots and complaining to the dnr about dogs running our property has done no good. The dogs keep the deer stirred up and almost entirely nocturnal so that as "tree huggers", we have a very difficult time seeing deer during legal shooting light. The sooner they abolish this outdated practice the better! Sorry, just had to vent 25 years of frustration!
Old 11-18-2005, 08:10 PM

I have to agree with SCbowhntr on this one. That is my biggest complaint. They put so much pressure on the deer around here that you really have to go deeper in or wait till the rut to see anything but does and spikes before dark. I really think it hurts our deer pop. around here because even though most of the dog hunters do not claim to care if it is a buck or a doe, it is usually the small 1 1/2 yr old to 2 yr old bucks that get shot. I understand it is a "tradition" of some sort, I have lived here all my life, but some of the things that go on I just don't agree with. Around here in the mid to late 80's you might hunt for weeks on stand and not see a deer. Running dogs was your only chance to see one and then you might not see one in a day or two. Now it is a little betterbut they are not only running dogs during season but several months before season starts in order to get the dogs back in shape. Most of the guys around here are pretty respectful of someones property. I let them hunt about 350 acres of mine because it joins other peoples property they already have permission to hunt, but the rest they know to stay away NO EXCEPTIONS. Sorry to ramble on[8D]
Old 11-19-2005, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't care for the practice personally , and since it's illegal here and very likely to stay that way I don't have to think about it . If it's legal where you are then do what you want to .
Old 11-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I'm from Indiana and its illegal here. I hate to see deer being chased by dogs and we always thin out the dog pop.