HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rocky Boots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/121529-rocky-boots.html)

MNpurple 11-17-2005 04:35 PM

Rocky Boots

There has been a few posts recently cutting down rocky boots, inluding myself. TodayI got into a lengthy conversation with a knowledgable footwear person at Cabelas. I was looking at boots and commented about how my last couple pair of Rocky's the soles just start falling apart. I told her I used to love those boots but will not touch them now.

She agreed and said that Rocky has had a very bad few years. She said they were trying to keep there prices very very low by cutting costs and it obviously backfired and resulted in inferior products. She said they were using Air injection into their soles (not really sure what this is) but she said they used so much that it took nothing to pop them and their soles would immediatley start falling apart after that. She also said they have started to turn things around and although they still have some poor pairs of boots, the again have started producing some higher quality boots that do hold up.

Thought this was kind of interesting as I always wondered why theirqualitysuddenly became so bad. At any rate, their garbage caused me to switch to Danner and I WIL NOT be switching back.

jerseyhunter 11-17-2005 04:39 PM

RE: Rocky Boots

Mine are atleast 8 years old so I guess they hadn't started cutting back at that time.

pjhunts 11-17-2005 07:15 PM

What about those of us who got the crappy shoes? I bought a pair last fall and only wore them deer hunting(30 times or so) and wore them three times this year when the soles almost seperated completely on both boots. They tell me they only warrant them for one year and I'm about 2 months past that. I'm so friggin ticked its not funny. I could have bought a pair of cheapies at Wally-world that would still be going strong. uhhhhhg

Buellhunter 11-17-2005 07:27 PM

I'm glad mine are about 5 years old. I have 2 pair and they should last another 5 years.

Maybe by then they will have their act together.

If not I'll buy a different brand.

Tribal 11-17-2005 09:20 PM

I use to sell hunting boots, IMO Rockys are not very good. The shank does not offer good support. It's been a few years so not sure if they have changed or not. Take the toe of the boot in one hand and the heel of the boot in the other and twist. They bend like a hula girl doing the limbo. No support. And all the footwearclinics I have sat through seemed to support this and agree. This isjust my opinion and if guys are happy with them then thats all that counts. I happen to be a huge fan of Danner and it's all I wear, 4 pairs from the Trophys, Pronghorns, Grouse,to the Mountain lights and have really been impressed. Water proof every year for the last 5 years.

bdu33 11-17-2005 09:45 PM

I've never owned a pair of Rocky's and I dought I ever will. Danner, Meindel, and Irish Setter.
Once you have a fav you wont step sideways.

OH-HUNT62 11-18-2005 06:05 AM

and there is also the matter of them closing their original plant in Nelsonville, Ohio and moving all of their boot making out of country........

BobCo19-65 11-18-2005 06:44 AM

I have Rocky work boots, and at first impression I hated the way the gortex was installed on the tongue of the boots. But, I'd have to say that they really held up very well to abuse.

But, I still prefer Danners.