HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Deer Feeder Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/121477-deer-feeder-question.html)

antlergetter 11-17-2005 09:56 AM

Deer Feeder Question

I want to put my tripod feeder up for late season after the rut has tapered off. How long does it take for the deer to get used to the feeder being there??

njbuck22 11-17-2005 10:14 AM

RE: Deer Feeder Question

if you put it near trails that they use, they will find it in no time, they wont be bothered by it one bit. They go crazy for corn, especially later on in the season. One word of advice, do not put your feeder up in an area where other hunters frequent, cause it will not be there for long. I had one taken off my own private property this year already. Make sure that you can somehow lock it where you want it and try to protect the motor, cause if they cant steal it, they will tamper with it. That is my thoughts, from personal experience. I would much rather just feed by hand, but a feeder is alot easier if you can get away with it.

okie_legrant 11-17-2005 11:26 AM

It didn't take my deer very long to get use to it. I have had it going since Aug. I will say that I never saw a buck at my feeder. But it did help the # of does in the area. They would always bring their fawns to it. I am going to leave it up all yr around just to keep the deer in my area. Also I have a stand overlooking the feeder and a stand about 100 yrds away on a trail. I have seen 3 bucks come down the trail and check out the does at the feeder but they never get close to it during the daylight.

labhunter 11-17-2005 11:29 AM

If you are in VA Rut must be going on right now. You should get things rolling as soon as possible. Deer are running and chasing. If they are chasing near your feeder the time it goes off they will remember the sound. most feeders sound the same as corn is dispensed. So in many cases deer just need to decide who has the better corn. spend the money and get a timed feeder as well. dusk / dawn feeders are good but they feed just before you run out of shooting light.

one on one 11-17-2005 12:25 PM

if you get a timer feeder, set it for some daytime feedings, keep a check on it, the coons will eat you out of house and home,the bucks are smart,might get some small young bucks there in daylight hours,good luck

QuickkillMcgee 11-17-2005 02:06 PM

I'm sorry but I just gotta say something about this.... Don't you people think that baiting an deer is a little unsportsman like? Seriously you guys go out and buy those feeders that only dispense during certain times and then you call it hunting still....I call that getting. The whole point of hunting is for a challenge. To me there is no challenge in hunting over a feeder. Once again for those of you that do this I don't mean any offense I am just wondering why you people do it if you've got so many deer in your areas!

rancherrider 11-17-2005 02:08 PM

deer feeders are a hit and miss. atleast at our camp. one guy has had a feeder out for 3 years and has never seen a buck of of it. another guy has had his out for two years now and is strating to see nicer buck coming to it. my thought onfeeders is the first year you put itup, you will see some does and their yearlyings. as the deer get comfortable with the feeder, they will come back year after year. thise yearlyings grow up to be mature animals and that's when you start seeing better bucks. the guythat is seeing better bucks off his feeder thinks that it is the same deerthat were theree last year and so on. once they get use to it, and see that it is not a threat, thenthey will come to the corn like a kid on Holloween night. it just might take a couple of years to let the little bucks get big. that's my take on the subject.

okie_legrant 11-17-2005 03:42 PM

QuickkillMcgee, i understand your point. I use my feeder to maintain a healthy deer herd. I have had many chances to take deer while at my feeder but passed b/c it didn't feel right. But it is also nice to know that in the summer that the deer don't have to go far to find food.

Trapper_Hunter 11-17-2005 07:55 PM

QuickkillMcgee there has been a bunch of topics about this if you would like to read them. just doa search.

knemohunter 11-17-2005 08:39 PM

Are feeders loud? If they are loud do they scare deer off or do the deer get used to the sound?