Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First time in 4 years will leave the 6 week archery deerless >

First time in 4 years will leave the 6 week archery deerless

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time in 4 years will leave the 6 week archery deerless

Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Default First time in 4 years will leave the 6 week archery deerless

Well I made a decision this year to go the entire hunting season in Virginia with a bow. I also decided that I wouldn't shoot anything that was less than 8 points until the rut was over. Well, gun season hits on Saturday and I haven't arrowed anything. I knew it would be hard to resist shooting decent does and smaller bucks. Well I did see two mature bucks this year, one of them was one of the bucks I was targetting. I usually only see 1 mature deer per year in the place I hunt, the entire 3 month season, I saw 2 in 6 weeks. I got within 35 yards of one of the big bucks last week but didn't shoot because the wind was blowing hard. Boy this big buck or nothing approach is tough, real tough. I keep thinking, maybe I should have taken out a doe or smaller buck, then I think about what my goals are and resist. I had a great 6 point come by and I had him dead to rights but passed. Anyone else decide to hunt larger bucks only and have this sort of mental dilemma? I mean in the last 2 weeks alone I probably had 20+ deer within 25 yards, 5-6 of them being 4-6 points and passed!

Vashadowhunter
Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time in 4 years will leave the 6 week archery deerless

stick with it you will get one sooner or later
Old 11-16-2005, 03:18 PM

You need to think, normally you see one good deer per year where you hunt. This year you saw two. Next year you will see 3 or 4 because you let them walk this year. You always have to be looking to the future, and it is bright next year!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:25 PM

I hope so MN...the place gets alot of pressure starting here on Saturday. I hope some of the bucks I let pass make it through the gun season. I understand people hunting and shooting whatever they want, that is the way I started hunting, but I have grown to really respect the bucks I went after this year and want to take them with a bow or nothing. I will be back at it next Wed, Friday, and Saturday. Needless to say I will be using my bow during gun season, and I know it will be hard but I am committed.

Vashadowhunter
Old 11-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a personal standard [for bucks] of 8 points or better and mature. I've been hunting specifically for that kind of buck for the last 3 weeks and never had anything of that calibre that came in and would allow me a shot. The weather was the primary culprit IMO and that will change since I go back to work tonight.

The thing I did do differently was to shoot does. I took 4 of them in the early season to fill my freezer. I would suggest the same to you . . . after the rut of course.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM

I think you are right Dave about taking does early to get that mental attitude correct and to feel the freezer. It is just last year that I killed a decent buck the first Friday of bow season so I hold out on the deer just in case a big boy comes by! I need to lighten up I think early in the season.

Vashadowhunter
Old 11-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey VA....that is the way to do it! You will get one eventually...your patience and persistence will be rewarded.
What you described IMO, is the maturing of a hunter. The bottom line is, if it won't make you happy, don't shoot it. It really doesn't matter what others think or say, hunting is an individual thing. I applaud you for doing what you are. I personally have not shot a buck with my bow since '97, because I gave up shooting the small & medium bucks.I don't regret it a bit. I have shot alot of does, and passed so many small bucks I can't even count them anymore. I am always looking forthe big one. Unfortunately where I hunt, the big ones are much fewer and farther between than other areas. But hey, that is ok, I still stick to my goals...because that is what will make me happy. I would rather shoot a doe any day than a small buck.

Good luck, you'll get him

PS: My office is in old town manassas, so I am right down the road from you,almost daily
Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 PM

Thats the absolute only way to hunt, IMO. Let the smaller bucks walk, shoot the ones that have been around a while...it seems all to simple. The group I hunt with has taken up that strategy just a couple years ago, and from our trail camera photos, it is paying off. As far as pressure, we've got a small 80 acre plot surrounded by three other groups that either poach, have the philosophy "brown goes down" (which results in more buck fawns than mature buck), or just go to the woods to shoot whatever animal moves...but we've got 3 or 4 bucks that are real nice size, and a couple more that will be nice next year.

I've yet to see one bowhunting, but I know they're there...I've just got to keep my patience...cause it is worth it!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:36 AM

Virginiashadowhunter,

I too hunt here in Va. and have shot 2 does. I too have passed on quite a few small bucks myself. Itold my self that I would wait on a mature buck or it would be no buck. The rut has been very spotty if you ask me due to all the warm weather we have had here in northern Va.and I feel thishas also limited what I have seen. I know there are some big mature bucks on my property, but they have not been seen duringdaylight hours. Thats OK, there is always next year!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 PM

I have to agree with everyone here. I haven't harvested a buck for 6 years because I too am hunting for a trophy. This year I decided to get a bonus doe tag for the season and I filled it a couple of weeks ago. If I don't get the big one (oh well). Sometimes does are harder to draw on then bucks, they have a sick sense about them when there around your treestand. Anyway good luck next year. You will be rewarded for you patience.