Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 knees hurt on stand? >

knees hurt on stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

knees hurt on stand?

Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: knees hurt on stand?

33 years old here to and welcome to the wonderful world of ARTHRITIS, it really sucks
Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM

i have the same problem whether sitting on stand or not after about an hour or so i have to stand up because my knees start to hurt and my legs get sore, but it only started last year, and it also does it durin school and when we have our block day which we have an double class periods of 1 and a half instead of 45 minute, and on wensdays i am basically siting al day long and it is torture, Oh and by the way i am only 16, course being 6'1" and 270# doesnt help much.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

The pain is caused by the loss of circulation in the legs especially around the knees and lower legs when we sit for an extended period of time. You may have heard of this happening to people who fly on overseas or cross country trips. Sitting with your legs in this position can result in blood clots forming in the veins so it is very important that you stand up often to get the blood flowing again. The pain is a warning from the body that your muscles are being deprived of the oxygen that they need. You could always try wearing nylons to help increase the blood circulation, plus they can keep you warmer in the cold weather. I use to do that when I played football on cold nights way back when.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds liek the start of Arthritis. I was diagnosed with Heriditary Arthritisof the kneesat the age of 16. The cold really bothers my knees especially when im on stand for hours. Here's what I do. I simply take a couple of them hand warmers, the large kind, and tape them to the knees of my longjohns. Keeps my knees warm and then they dont get so sore. Try it and see what happens for you.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies now I don't feel so lonely. After hearing peoples stories I am going to try and give them some heat to see if this helps. I hunt out of 1 ladder stand, 1 climber, and 7 portables- 2 with footrests (wife thinks I have too many stands. Some women don't get it, but shes the greatest she don't give me no flack about my time in the woods) they all feel about the same.

JCNinOKC, I think this is related to the weather, I get about 15-30 minutes of sitting and then the pain. Do you still think it may be a circulation problem? I'm willing to try anything (even nylons) if ya think it'll help. I'm just curious, I could see if after an hour or two some discomfort, but this 15-30 min. is just frustrating. I like to shoot sitting down so usually in the late season I just stand and sit if I can spy a deer early enough.

I guess I should have mentioned my mom has had a knee replaced and they want her to have the other one done, so it looks like I might be in the same boat later on.
Thanks, Chris
Old 11-17-2005, 10:34 AM

It is arthritis. I hae the same issue only when its cold out. The colder it is the worst the pain. My solution is to wear knee braces under all my clothes. This keeps all the heat on my knees, even if im freezing everywhere else. This works great fro me. Hope it helps.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

mmilovan, do you use regular knee braces or a knee wrap? I have thought about using a neoprene knee sleeve and was wondering if this is kinda like you are describing.
Thanks, Chris