Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Using Bow during Gun Season? >

Using Bow during Gun Season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using Bow during Gun Season?

Old 11-17-2005, 12:06 AM

Default RE: Using Bow during Gun Season?

Like someone already said, here in OK, you can hunt through all season with a bow. This is only my third year hunting, second with a bow. Got my first doe with a rifle last year and my first deer (and first buck) with a bow this year. I've thought about only using my bow all season because I enjoy bow hunting a lot more. It's more of a challenge to take a deer with a bow. I don't think I'm going to start bow only hunting yet since I'm still new to hunting. I'd like to have a few more deer under my belt. If I understand the laws correctly, you are allowed to carry both methods of taking game durring the gun or muzzleloader (ie. you can carry your bow durring muzzle or rifle season). I plan to take both out durring rifle season this year and if someting comes in close, I'll take it with my bow....more then 40 yards out, I'll use the rifle. I hope to start bow hunting only in the next couple of years. It's just a lot more exciting bringing them close.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

One hunts with a bow and kills with a gun.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 AM

I agree wolfen, I used to gun hunt but it just isn't fun anymore. My dad has always gun hunted and can't figure out why I just shake my head in a negative way when I see about 20 deer hanging that his group and him shoot during shotgun season. Most of which shouldn't have been shot at all. They seem to want to kill anything that runs in front of them. I have to go shotgun hunting this year with my son. He's 10 and not strong enough to kill one yet. He's pulling about 20 to 25 lbs now. Hopefully next year I can get him on the stand with his bow. Then we can let the guns hybernate in the gun safe.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TWIRPY

I agree wolfen, I used to gun hunt but it just isn't fun anymore. My dad has always gun hunted and can't figure out why I just shake my head in a negative way when I see about 20 deer hanging that his group and him shoot during shotgun season. Most of which shouldn't have been shot at all. They seem to want to kill anything that runs in front of them. I have to go shotgun hunting this year with my son. He's 10 and not strong enough to kill one yet. He's pulling about 20 to 25 lbs now. Hopefully next year I can get him on the stand with his bow. Then we can let the guns hybernate in the gun safe.
That's cool Twirpy...my son is only 7 months and I long for the day we can bow hunt together! I have two older daughters but I think they'd rather shop with their mom than hunt with their dad.[]
Old 11-17-2005, 08:27 AM

Thanks wolfen, enjoy all the time you can get with your kids. It seems like just yesterday that I was changing dirty diapers. Time just seems to slip by alot faster when you have kids.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:20 AM

Here in washington they've been thinking about it but haven't made up there minds about letting us archery hunters hunt the other seasons with our equipment. They won't even let us buy just a general deer tag like some states. You have to choose either modern firearm, muzzle loader, or archery! talk about lame....
Old 11-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: icedern

illegal in Illinois
That's only "partially" true in icedern. There are areas in IL that are "archery only" that allow bowhunting during ALL gun seasons. I'll be bowhunting one such area this weekend.

Otherwise—it is "illegal" to use a bow during IL's "shotgun" seasons. You can still bowhunt during the youth hunt in Oct. and during the Muzzleloader season in Dec.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Archery season is closed during most gundeer seasons here.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:12 AM

Thanks to all who replied and Happy Thanksgiving.